Preventing color printing

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is it possible to prevent color printing on a printer via the OS?

I have a color laser (Samsung CLP-610) on my home network, but only want the adults in the house to be able to print in color. It's costing me way too much with the kids printing out full page Pokemon cards :)

I don't see a way to do it on the printer settings, and was hoping that I could either
a) disable color, or at least
b) force greyscale to be the default

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I think, from experience, that this all depends on the printer software. My old Canon used to allow you to set grayscale as a default, but my last Lexmark, and my current Canon have no such settings.
What OS version are you running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your printer on each computer in your house. Then go into the settings on each computer and set it to grayscale or b&w and save the settings.

As mentioned, it ultimately depends on your printer's drivers/software if it will even let you do that.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I do have the latest driver, but it appears that the only thing that is settable in the system preferences for the printer is the name of the printer.

I'm running the latest OSX too.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just searched the Samsung site to see if there was any way to shut off color either from the driver side or hardware. I came up empty but try this:

Open System Preferences, Print & Fax, highlight the Samsung, and then click on "Options & Supplies". That should bring up another dialog which contains four tabs: General, Driver, Supply Levels, Utility. (note: not every printer will show the "Utility" choice)

Click on "Utility" if present. If there's a selectable grayscale option, it should be here. (Also go through the other tabs.) If nothing shows up, I'm afraid we're out of luck unless you can find another driver or updated driver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.