OSX/Bootcamp/User Name issue on my Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB SDRAM Snow Leopard 10.6.5
My Macbook is stalling on the Grey Screen when I turn it on. I usually have to shut it off once or twice before the spinning disk comes up and it loads the OS. I have a Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB, running 10.6.5. I also have windows XP running on Bootcamp to play around with my android phone and receive firmware updates. In the last 5 days I have fully updated windows XP ( there were a lot of updates, it doesn't get used much). And I removed the password prompt before startup. My nephew received an old ibook for x-mas and I was running through the parental controls with my sister to help her set it up. In doing so, my computer began prompting me for my password upon start-up. Anyone have any ideas? I am a novice computer troubleshooter, I can usually feel my way through things, but I need help determining what direction I need to go. I love my macbook but I live in South Dakota so there are no Apple stores to go to for help.

Thanks, Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
My Macbook is stalling on the Grey Screen when I turn it on. I usually have to shut it off once or twice before the spinning disk comes up and it loads the OS. I have a Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB, running 10.6.5. I also have windows XP running on Bootcamp to play around with my android phone and receive firmware updates. In the last 5 days I have fully updated windows XP ( there were a lot of updates, it doesn't get used much). And I removed the password prompt before startup. My nephew received an old ibook for x-mas and I was running through the parental controls with my sister to help her set it up. In doing so, my computer began prompting me for my password upon start-up. Anyone have any ideas? I am a novice computer troubleshooter, I can usually feel my way through things, but I need help determining what direction I need to go. I love my macbook but I live in South Dakota so there are no Apple stores to go to for help.

Thanks, Mike

I'm confused by what you're asking. Are you asking how to get rid of the password on startup?
If so, Apple -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Options -> Automatic Login: On.

OP
Emjay12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB SDRAM Snow Leopard 10.6.5
No, Sorry, I am asking why my Macbook is not booting when I hit the power button. It is stalling out on the grey screen and only boots after a few tries. I have the password off. The only thing I have changed this last week is I removed the password prompt and I updated windows in bootcamp. I don't know how either of these could cause this problem but there is a lot I don't know. Thanks for your response though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.