• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Report: iPad will grow 250% in 2011 at the expense of PCs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Not surprised. They are cannibalizing some of their macbook sales, however, IMO.

My wife had wanted a MBP come tax time, but since she's going back to school for the IT program that I'm in, she decided to hold onto her HP and just get an iPad, instead.

Sure that's not always the case, but still. Not sure about the difference in profit margins between the devices.

That being said, she did say she fully expects me to get her a MBP at a later date.

Reaction score
I do believe they are cannibalizing some of their Macbook sales too. I just bought an iPad, in fact, over a Macbook. I really, REALLY want a Macbook Pro, but when I thought it through, with the iPad being an option now, I don't really need it! When I do the heavy duty stuff, I will always go for my iMac first, it's just a big, beautiful, 27 inch screen with this amazing processor, tons of RAM, and 4 times the space that the biggest HDD in the Macbook Pro can offer... All I need a laptop for is email, browsing, staying in touch while away for work... All of which the iPad can more than handle. And at a fraction of the price, why blow more money on the laptop?

I'm not sure that's always the case either, but it seems to be more each day.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends on the person really. If you are a designer, photographer, dj etc the iPad isn't going to cut it for their work.

For web browsing, watching movies, and viewing images sure it's fine.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Depends on the person really. If you are a designer, photographer, dj etc the iPad isn't going to cut it for their work.

For web browsing, watching movies, and viewing images sure it's fine.
Tell that to the Gorillaz who made their album on the ipad. And the photographers who store their photos on the ipad before they get back home to their main computers for editing. I see your point. The ipad is not perfect but can do a lot too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I will say, even though I would never pay money for one for myself, since we are getting one for the wife, I do look forward to playing around with it a little more and seeing what it has to offer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before we rush to any conclusions about iPad sales versus Mac notebook sales, let's see what iPad version 2 is going to be able to do. If the improvements are what we suspect (guessing) then we can talk more about the impact on Mac notebook sales.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.