Volume needs to be repaired. I'm travelling and don't have Mac OS X cd. Please help!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Macbook Leopard v10.5.8. I ran Onyx last night and it says my volume needs to be repaired from my Mac OS X cd, running Disc Utility. I do not have my disc on me as I'm currently traveling (in Thailand). I would go to the apple store but there isn't one here though I am sure I can find authorized service providers.
So, is there anything i can do considering I do not have my cd with me. I'm not the most computer savvy person but I'd like to try fix this and prevent further damage to my hard drive or files.
Any help/ instructions would be highly appreciated

Thanks!

Dru

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums Dru T

As for "Repairing the Volume" through Disk Utility this can only be done through booting from the instal disk, as the volume has to be unmounted at the time (it is mounted when in use from booting). You can "Repair Permissions" when booting from the HDD but not "Repair Disk".
If you can find an Apple authorised repair shop then they may be able to help you. But if you havn't noticed anything going wrong with your computer you should be alright until you get home.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes you can. Run fsck.
This doesn't require your install disc, and does the same job as disk utility.
Plenty of posts on the forum on how to, many by me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
To clarify on what Keviano said, in order to be able to run the command fsck you will have to boot in single user mode. To do this turn on your computer and hold Command and S. After about 5 seconds you will see white text, then you can release Command and S. Now you should be at the command line, you need to enter this command: /sbin/fsck -fy then press enter. This will go through the 5 phases about your disk usage. Once it is all done it will display this message that it is all done:
** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If you get this message:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

You will need to run the fsck command again until fsck tells you that your volume is OK.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Another option $29 and upgrade to SnowLeopard if you find a authorised reseller

OP
D
Reaction score
To clarify on what Keviano said, in order to be able to run the command fsck you will have to boot in single user mode. To do this turn on your computer and hold Command and S. After about 5 seconds you will see white text, then you can release Command and S. Now you should be at the command line, you need to enter this command: /sbin/fsck -fy then press enter. This will go through the 5 phases about your disk usage. Once it is all done it will display this message that it is all done:
** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If you get this message:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

You will need to run the fsck command again until fsck tells you that your volume is OK.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. Since I'm away for two months I'm going to try to boot in single user mode as roflitskyle says. Will I lose any data? I want to do this right away but if I will lose data I guess I'll have to wait a day or two. My system isn't fully backed up. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. Since I'm away for two months I'm going to try to boot in single user mode as roflitskyle says. Will I lose any data? I want to do this right away but if I will lose data I guess I'll have to wait a day or two. My system isn't fully backed up. Thanks!

I've never had a problem with it, but it's always safest to have a backup before you make any major changes. You'll just have to weigh the risk and determine whether its in your best interest to do it now.

Another option - and I think all Macs should have this installed from the factory - AppleJack will save you from having to have your discs handy in the event of a problem like this. And it makes it easy not having to remember the specific commands and arguments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Applejack 1.6 is the go. And consider Snow Leopard as it is a faster and leaner cat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Apple Jack looks very interesting might have to get it..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.