Considering iPad of Mac Book Air

Reaction score
I'm not much of a gadget guy, so please use layman's terms when explaining things to me.

I don't buy too many gadgets, smart phones don't interest me, I have a basic iPod and my PC is pretty basic. I'm always going to be a PC/Windows guy when it comes to my main computer. I like windows and PC's, I understand them, the programs/games I use run on them and, it's just something I'm comfortable with.

With that being said, I travel a lot through my job and kind of want something light and functionable to bring with me. Currently my work laptop is a tank, so I need something light. I was considering a net book, but they look like garbage. So I'm in between the basic $500 iPad or the lowest model Mac Book Air ($1000).

Basically, I only need something for web browsing, youtube watching and emails. I won't fill it with music (I have an iPod and my itunes is on my PC), probably basic apps or programs, and a couple pictures.

I'm leaning on the iPad, but I'm looking for the device that will probably last the longest. I'm cheaper than my grandmother and hate replacing things two or three years after I buy them (I take great care of things), especially if I spend $1000 on them. What device would be best to last me 4+years and be less likely to give me issues along the way?

At the same time, even after my Applecare runs out, I would assume I could pay to have my macbook to be repaired, right? I would think once an iPad breaks, it's going into the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
My dad recently got an iPad for work. He is a general contractor and he uses it for emails, presentations, and he uses it when he is out on a job site when he is away from his computer. He used to take his Mac Book on job trips but now he just takes his iPad. He has the 3g model so he can use it ever where there is service. As for your question I would get the iPad. I think it will be easier for you to set up and for ever day use. You can also pay to get the iPad repaired, its not a one time deal :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome rm50mx to M-F . . . .

If you want something to last 3-4 yrs . . . I would have to lean toward the MBA . . . . 1stly its a 1st Gen iPad and know one knows what the life of them i going to be. It isnt even 12mths old as yet.
With the MBA you a great machine and being the 11" falls into the Netbook genre.
For me if i was looking for a machine to work on the next 4yrs it has to be the MBA. I suppose because it has a upright screen and a full keyboard. Just think of functionality here is all...

What would you want to be leaning over for the next 4 yrs??
Dont get me wrong the iPad is a beautifully gorgeous piece of kit, but working on a Tablet like that over 4 yrs i just couldnt do...

In the end it comes don to you and what exactly you need to do with it .. . . .
Im a little spacey atm so i hope that makes sense to you ?? LOL

OH and remember the LOW iPAd of $500 you quoted isnt 3GS. If you get iPad unless your around wireless all the time you will need the more expensive 3GS and then get onto some sort of plan .... Food for thought

OP
R
Reaction score
Walmsley, possen

The thing is, I would hate to buy a mba, a computer that can do amazing things, just to check gmail and watch videos when I'm away. I have my PC, when I expect to last a few more years. I'm not one of those people that needs to be connected 24/7. I'm not like the people who look like they're suffocating on the subway with no cell service, but staring at their phone all anxious and when the train comes out of the tunnel, they're typing 10000wpm.

I just need something that lets me stay connected to news, mail, facebook, youtube, etc. I just would hate spending a ton of money on something that has an expiration date.

Maybe I should consider some kind of netbook, they're going for $300 and some seem to have good ratings. I drool when I see the mba, but I really can't justify spending $1000 on something I don't use for it's potential. Plus, I currently took a 50% salary cut to peruse another career. Maybe a net book now and something better when my salary is higher. I'll see what other people say here.

I spent an hour or so playing with the iPad at the store today, I went through my normal routine with it and it was awesome. But it IS a new product, maybe I should wait for the kinks to be worked out.

There is no need for 3g. I'll be using it at home, at the airport, the train (the one I travel on has WiFi) and at work. I don't expect it to be on me too often going around town. If I have a dire need for internet, I have other resources.

Like I said, I'm going to be a recreational user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
You answered your own question. Congrats and enjoy your new iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I"m also in the group that recommends getting a Macbook Air over the iPad. Based on your current requirements you can do everything on both, but should your needs change 6months or 1year from now the MacBook Air will more than likely still be able to do the job. The iPad is very limited with what it can do, and should your needs change you'll have to replace it anyways. (Just food for thought. I have both, and know which one is going to be around longer)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I don't really consider the iPad a replacement to a laptop. It's more like a supplement. I own both an iPad and a MacBook and I love them both, but I'll point out a few things that are difficult to do with an iPad. (some of these can be done, but it's a whole lot easier with a full blown computer).

Printing--Technically, you can print a document from the iPad, but from what I've seen, it's printing abilities are very limited.

Someone gives you a CD with some documents or photos. You can't easily import them without a full blown computer.

Giving a large file to someone else is also difficult. You can't burn a CD and there currently is no option for a thumb drive.

Out of the box, you can't connect a digital camera and download photos. There is an adapter available. Not sure of it's compatibility with all cameras...

Flash websites--You can't view flash content on websites natively. There is an option to view flash video w/ the SkyFire app, but the process is a bit limited & wonky.

I'm sure someone will point out workarounds for all of the above, but my point is simply that they are all much easier to do on a full blown computer. I also have to point out again that I absolutely love my iPad and the things that it can do. I just don't think it's a replacement for a computer. That's like saying you don't have any use for an oven because you have a microwave. Both are very useful for specific applications, but are not always interchangeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Basically, I only need something for web browsing, youtube watching and emails. I won't fill it with music (I have an iPod and my itunes is on my PC), probably basic apps or programs, and a couple pictures.

I'm a big fan of the MBA. That said, if the above is all you think you will ever use it for, then go for the iPad. It's not a replacement for a real computer, but it will do all of the things you mentioned very well and with a small footprint. Since it doesn't sound like you will store much data, perhaps a 16GB will work? I'm pretty sure an iPad could be usable 4 years from now for web/email/youtube, assuming Apple continues to release updates for "older" versions. Remember, the original iPhone1,1 came out in 2007. While it's still usable, I think we can all agree that Apple isn't putting much money into maintaining it. I believe it is currently stuck at iOS 3.1.3. Still, even it is usable for web/email/youtube.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I recently bought a MBA 11" for travel and that is the best purchase I have ever made. I need to bring a Dell laptop around for work with XP and it is so locked up that I can not install anything on it so to travel with two laptops, you need something light.

With the MBA, you have Skype for videocalls home, you do not have to hold (an Ipad) to watch movies and with DropBox you actually have access to all your documents as if you were at home in case you need to deal with something while being on the road with a proper keyboard as well....

To me, it is well worth the money and way better than an iPad to bring with me.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
not for nothing but ipad has dropbox as well.

air is total overkill for internet surfing mail and movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Sure you can access files from the iPad as well, but my point was that if you are travelling a lot as I am currently doing, you can just continue to seamlessly deal with stuff as if you were at home using the MBA with DropBox and all the other software that you have installed on your main computer at home.

Since I have for the last couple of months been away most weeks Monday to Friday, the MBA has become like my main computer, does that very well and I would not bring the family iPad as an alternative to that.

Reaction score
My MacBook has been permanently plugged into a 22 inch monitor with mouse and keyboard ever since I realized mymipad tookmcare of everything I needed when I'm out of the house. Now my MacBook is just for flash video really...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.