Sharing files between different versions of apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2010 iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Just thinking ahead if i go to uni i will probably need a laptop so will buy a MBP. i dont think i could face getting rid of my iMac.

So anyway would it be difficult to share files between macs that are of different ages eg. viewing a pages 08 file in pages 09.

Is it possible for a mac to be so outdated that it will not function with a new mac??

i probably sound a bit crazy but i suppose i am a worrier :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Just thinking ahead if i go to uni i will probably need a laptop so will buy a MBP. i dont think i could face getting rid of my iMac.

So anyway would it be difficult to share files between macs that are of different ages eg. viewing a pages 08 file in pages 09.

Is it possible for a mac to be so outdated that it will not function with a new mac??

i probably sound a bit crazy but i suppose i am a worrier :/

It shouldn't be no.

I know all the Microsoft Office documents can go back to the 2003 version. It is possible for it to be outdated (if it was like a PPC, not an Intel based Mac).

This is a good article to read over really fast

OP
georgemackellar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2010 iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
thanks and also what would you say is the best way to transfer files between macs. i have tried memory sticks in the past but i think it is too slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
thanks and also what would you say is the best way to transfer files between macs. i have tried memory sticks in the past but i think it is too slow

Well you can use Firewire to have one act as an external hard drive, you can use Time Machine to have a backup and just restore from that, or you can create a bootable image from your current hard drive. Time machine is probably the easiest if you purchase a new system. You just back up your current machine on an external, and plug the external into the new system and when it turns on it will ask you to import with Migration Assistant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.