Buying a new mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB Serial ATA Drive, 320GB External HDD
Right guys, first off, I started this thread on an old forum that I used to attend, but the replies are so slow and lacking, it's pathetic, so I thought I'd come to a more specified forum.

Here's the first post.

-----------------------------

Now guys, this is where I would need some helpful advice.

I have got the money for my Mac right about now and I'm unsure about what to purchase, here's my quarrel;

I have limited amount of money to spend on a mac, and with me spending £850 on a mac (with my student discount) i'd be left with less money to spend on food etc for university.

Now, I was looking at the Mac mini's and I could get a Mac Mini with the following specs:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
User's Guide (English)
Accessory kit

along with:

Apple Keyboard with numeric keypad - British
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

Which all equals up to £739.01

-------------------------------

This is a little cheaper and this also gives me that little bit of extra money to spend on food and what not.

So my question really is;
Are Mac Mini's any good?
Are they as good as the Macbook Pro's?
Yes: Why?
No: Why?
Would it be worth paying the extra £100'ish for the MBP or just going with the Mini.
I'd really like fast responses on this, it'd be a huge help!

I got a reply simply stating that even though my Mac Mini would be the same specification, the Macbook Pro would still be better, which I didn't really agree with, but my second post was the following.

----------------------

What will I be using it for?

Casual gaming.
Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Browsing, etc.

The MBP that I was going to get was the same initial specifications as the Mac mini, but the mac mini was obviously £110 cheaper.

I've gone and bought the Mac mini, with the following specifications:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive
SD8x DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW
USERS GUIDE,Mac Mini-GBR
Country Kit-GBR

I've also bought the Mini display to VGA and also a Full size Apple keyboard.

I've also got an External 320GB HDD which would be attached 90% of the time, giving me 640GB's total, which is rather good.
In may I plan to upgrade to 8GB ram total or buy an iMac/MBP anyway, so maybe this was the right choice? i'm not sure.

It totalled in at Total: £739.01, which I thought was rather good, but I'm just not entirely sure if the Mac Mini was the 100% right choice.

hm?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Are Mac Mini's any good? Yes they are
Are they as good as the Macbook Pro's? You're comparing apples to oranges here. One is a desktop, one is a laptop.
Yes: Why? They stay on the dekstop all the time. They don't run as hot as a laptop (usually). And they have a built in HDMI port.
No: Why? Not portable and not as easily upgradable. Also doesn't come with a screen
Would it be worth paying the extra £100'ish for the MBP or just going with the Mini.Do you need portability or no...
What will I be using it for?

Casual gaming.
Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Browsing, etc.
In may I plan to upgrade to 8GB ram total or buy an iMac/MBP anyway, so maybe this was the right choice? i'm not sure.
Both support up to 8gb. But honestly 8gb is overkill for 90% of users
It totalled in at Total: £739.01, which I thought was rather good, but I'm just not entirely sure if the Mac Mini was the 100% right choice.
If you need a portable machine, obviously the MBP. If not, the Mac Mini is fine.

Answers in red.

OP
Fragil1ty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB Serial ATA Drive, 320GB External HDD
1. Thank you for the very fast response, I really appreciate it.
2. Thank you for answering the questions with precision! you've really made me more at ease!

I really can't wait to get the release.

I ordered it on Friday and it says:

1-3 days shipping time.
and will come anytime from the 12-17th of Jan, would it come before this do you think? or?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Congrats on the new Mac! Did you order your computer from Apple?

OP
Fragil1ty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah! I ordered it on Friday Morning, at like 5AM.

I was hoping it would of been shipped during the day, but that was just wishful thinking from me, sadly >_<!

On the Apple website it currently says:

Not yet shipped
Estimated Shipping: 1 - 3 business days
Estimated Delivery: 12 Jan, 2011 - 17 Jan, 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might take that long because it says "Not shipped yet."

OP
Fragil1ty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm 'hoping' that it will get shipped on Monday and then take anywhere from monday-thurs/friday, I'd hate to have to wait over a week for it.

>_<!

My mother went and ordered an iPod nano, and it came like 2 days later, so that's pretty good right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would check the shipping order every day and see if the status has changed. Did you add any upgrades? Hard drive or ram?

OP
Fragil1ty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will be doing so, I'm rather anxious about the arrival of it, and been looking forward to my first Mac OS purchase for a very long time.

I upgraded to 4GB ram from 2GB. Why? o:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will come, don't worry :D. And I asked about if you upgraded any parts because Apple will have to upgrade the model you want.

OP
Fragil1ty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh ;_;, it's only RAM so I thought it'd be a pretty simple job and not take that long, but if it comes next week, I'll be extremely happy.

I just want to get the mac and explore and be happy with my new system, I despise windows so much now, hate using it >.<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, if you have any questions just post a new thread :D.

OP
Fragil1ty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks bro!
Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.