Itunes

Reaction score
I am having trouble downloading Itunes to my desktop which is running Windows XP. Apparently I have downloaded it in the past but am unable to pull it up. When I try to redownload Itunes from the apple web site it starts the process but halfway through it says," The older version of apple software update cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. The older version of Quick time cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group." I try to go and manually removed them under programs but it will not, it says file cannot be found?? Anybody have any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If QuickTime and iTunes were previously installed in XP and were not properly uninstalled, that error will occur. You can use your registry editor and do a search for QuickTime and iTunes and then manually remove the remnants of them. But that can be a long tedious job.

From RUN type in "regedit" without the quotes, press enter, and then use the search function. Another option might be to install the older version again and then use the uninstaller.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
According to this, you might be able to use the Windows Installer Cleanup utility to fix the install. As noted by Microsoft though, the utility, "sometimes damaged other components installed on the computer" (source). They therefore no longer distribute it but it is available here.

I would advise that you use it as a last resort (if at all) - although it is reported to work with iTunes installs, it was officially retired by the maker for a reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.