Question about the gong noise at startup....

T

thedude15k

Hi everyone, im new here and this is my first post. nice to meet yall.

anyways, I just got my powerbook about 2 weeks ago, and everything seems to be working fine, my usb ports work, i havent tried the firewire yet, my airport card works, etc. the only thing is that whenever i start up my computer it sometimes wont make that gong type noise its supposed to make. its usually about 50/50 when it makes it. but ill go look at the system profiler and go to diagnostics and it shows the date and time and says passed right under it. do you think there is anything to worry about? i heard that the noise is supposed to check all your systems hardware and whatnot. I talked to an Apple Rep. at the Comp USA store that i bought my laptop at and he said it should make the noise everytime, but since the diagnostics thing says that it passes it that maybe its some sort of gliche in it. do you think i should worry? i have a few more days still if i want to exchange it, so i dunno what i should do, hehe. the system and everything seems to be running alright, and my comp. isnt getting overly hot, although it does get pretty hot, but i would like to avoid future problems. i dunno if this is maybe a bad sign for the future or something... what do yall think. :) thanks for your time by the way!!! :yinyang:

-rob-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i wouldnt worry too much personally as ive got a little app that turns it off altogeather.

also you do know that it only makes the bong when booting from cold right? it wont do it if you put it into sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If your computer was muted when you turned off the computer the gong will not go off

OP
B

badmojo

Mine comes on intermittently too for my iMac G5, but I don't think there's anything to be concerned about.

OP
T

thedude15k

Hey!!! thanks for the replies! :) I actually called Apple this morning about 9:30 to ask them myself and the guy said it shouldnt be a big deal either. He said some computers boot up so fast that they skip the noise, or that it may just be a little glitch. I asked him if that noise was the "ok" that the RAM and everything was working ok and he said it was just more of a turning on thing, sort of the same as windows does. He said that if there was actually anything wrong with my computer that it would be a different noise when i turned it on. I told him that in the diagnostics window it showed the right date and that it said "passed" under it, and he said that as long as it is passing the power on test and my computer has been running fine that i should be good to go. I cant remember word for word what he said, but basically everything should be cool. heh! im glad, all i have to do is hope and not be so **** paranoid about my computer messing up. haha. anyways, thanks a bunch for the replies. ill be hangin around here quite a bit probably tryin to learn more things, so hopefully ill get to know yall better! rock on. peace.

-Rob-

OP
T

thedude15k

trpnmonkey41 said:
If your computer was muted when you turned off the computer the gong will not go off

Yeah, i know that. i realized that shortly after i noticed the randomness of the gong noise, so i usually make sure that my speakers are working before i turn it off, or if the noise didnt go off i would play some music right when i turned it on to make sure they were on. also i know it doesnt make the noise when you wake it up from sleep, so yeah, but thanks though! anywho, peace.

-rob-

OP
S

speedydave

I always purposely mute my computer before shutting it down to avoid the gong noise. Inflexion, what's the app that turns it off altogether?

OP
B

BrianH

Just to add: If you are using external speakers (like I am), I do not hear the gong noise because my PB doesnt shoot any power to my USB speakers until 3 or 4 seconds has passed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.