• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Simplest way take a movie and send via e mail

Reaction score
I have an Iphone 4 and iMac.

When I take videos that are over a minute or two the iPhone says they too big to e mail.

Whats the simplest way to take a 5 minute video, load it on the imac - resize and e mail.

Im not looking to edit or add any effects etc.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Via the tools in iLife 09, I'd import the movie into iPhoto, and then open iMovie, let it index the iPhoto movies, create a project and export at some small size appropriate for e-mail.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Since most email services are size limited (and yours may not be, but your recipients' might), you probably don't want to send the file itself. If it's just to share the video, perhaps you should consider uploading to YouTube. If you're concerned about privacy, you can always make it a private video available only to those that are given the specific URL. Then, you can just email the URL.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, is there any way I can custom make the export size as the smallest default is too big.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
C

chas_m

But what we've been trying to tell you in the replies above is this: Sending movies over a minute long via email is a bad idea.

In some cases, large attachments can actually BLOCK the recipient from receiving any further email until they get rid of yours. See? Bad idea.

The "right" way to send movies to people is to put it up somewhere (YouTube, MobileMe, etc) and send your recipients the URL (and password if it's password protected).

OP
B
Reaction score
Xstep, thats exactly what I needed, Chas thanks as well now I know its not me making a mistake all movies are too big for e mails

Thanks All

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.