iTunes won't open after migration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac 2.16, G4 iBook, patiently waiting for Verizon iPhone
My daughter's design office replaced their iMac's with the latest and she snagged a nice 2.16 Intel duo iMac for me to replace my 2001 G4 PPC iMac. Both machines were running 10.4.11; using MA via a firewire I moved everything from old to new (except for the OS9 which I didn't use anyway).

It was successful :D except for iTunes:Angry:. When iTunes attempts to open a message comes up and says that it can't because I've used a newer version of iTunes (apparently on the Intel iMac?).

Should I remove iTunes and install the old G4 PPC version or? Also, I just noticed I didn't de-authorize the old iTunes on the G4-could that be part of the problem?

All software on the Intel iMac is up to date as of this morning.

Happy New Year to you all--:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Delete iTunes (just the App, not the Library). Go to the Apple Website and download the current version. Install and it should work fine. May take some time for it to "update your library" to the new format but otherwise you should be good.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes still won't open

Thanks for the reply...but I did that. Version that was in the Intel iMac was 7.0. iTunes 10.1 won't work as it requires Leopard and I haven't upgraded to SL yet (nextweek). Downloaded 8.4 but after installing it gave the same message that "iTunes was could not be read because it was created with a newer version". That is true because my old G4 has iTunes 9.0.

I also tried to restart, shiftkey and go that route and open iTunes-same results.:p

Looking for iTunes 9.0 but no luck on Apple site. If I find it somewhere else will it work with an Intel mac?

Thanks,

Mike

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update.

Found 9.0.3 iTunes and installed. Same problem-no change. Should I attempt a MA just for the iTunes folder again?:\

I haven't as of yet de-authorized iTunes in my old mac. Could this be the problem?

Thanks,

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally.

Ok, for those that might be interested. I solved the problem. The old G4 iMac had iTunes v9.2.1 , when I updated the iMac Intel Duo, it only went to iTunes v7. V10.1 won't work with 10.4.11 on a Intel Duo unless Leopard is installed, 8.2 won't work, nor will v9.1.:p What I did was drill down and find a copy of 9.2.1 on the web and downloaded. Upon loading to applications iTunes jumped to life. :Blushing:

1. You've got to find the EXACT version of iTunes to make it work. You won't find that on Apples' website you must do a little searching.

All is well, the music is great!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I guess that makes sense. Every-time you update iTunes and it re-opens it gives you that blurb about updating the library. Guess that would make it not really backward compatible after that point.

The other option would have simply been to dump the old library file (not the media) and just start from scratch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.