Office 2011 annoying "opening screen"

Reaction score
Hi guys
Sorry if I'm being really dumb here but..every time I open up Word or PowerPoint in Office 2011 I have to go through two annoying screens before the application itself will open.
Each time the opening screen acknowledges that my product is activated and gives me a number to quote if I wish to register (which I have done..and it makes no difference!). The next screen the asks if I want to download updates automatically and then if I wish to join the customer experience improvement programme..so i tick my preferred options and eventually Word or PP open up. But this happens every time I use them! Surely it should only happen the very first time?
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those screens should only appear the first time you run Office 2011. Once it's activated it checks itself upon startup automatically and should not ask again. The registration process is optional as is the automatic updates.

It sounds like your "profile" may be corrupt. The profile is stored in:

/Users/your name/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/Database

You can try moving the "Database" file to your desktop and let Office 2011 create another. If that doesn't work, move the file back to its original location.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea "chscag" - I thought it must be something like that.
Unfortunately, moving the database out made no difference (although I couldn't see a new one rebuilt in the relevant folder). The original is now back in place and the problem persists...any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you happen to remove the database and then launch Office? That is when the new database is created.

Also there have been updates to Office 2011. If you have not updated, hit the little update button under Help.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks harryb.
Yup, I removed database - closed Office - then opened again. Database rebuilt this time but still the same problem.
(Already fully updated by the way)
Thanks for your help - any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hate to spin you off somewhere else but without doing a complete removal and reinstall, I have no idea what's causing that. And believe me, removing Office 2011 is a bear! I had to do it once myself and it takes considerable work. Also that leads to having it activate again (which will probably result in a call to MS).

The best I can suggest is to post the problem on the Mac Office forum and let one of the MS MVPs have at it. They're actually a great bunch of guys and gals who are most helpful. Here is the LINK

Note: You're going to have to register in order to post. They used to have their forums on UseNet which were open - not any more, however.

Keep us posted.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for trying anyway!
Have posted a question at MS Office forum and will let you know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Together with that question you should have asked when will they release an uninstaller for Office 2011. Have told MS I for one, and probably one only at this stage, will not purchase Office 2011 until the uninstaller is included.

OP
G
Reaction score
Cracked it! I found a similar thread on the MS Office forum.
I removed the file com.microsoft.office.plist from my preferences library and then relaunched WORD. Had to fill everything in again as before but have since quit and restarted a number of times and WORD, together with all the other Office applications now fly straight open. Problem sorted!
Now..could someone maybe explain to me what I've done and why it worked??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you resolved it. What probably happened was the Office Plist file was corrupt. Removing it caused Office to create a new one. However, as you found out, you lost all your preference settings and toolbar\ribbon settings.

I guess that was a small price to pay though. :) BTW, make sure you backup that Plist file and your "normal template" in case anything out of the ordinary happens again.

Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.