G4 Mac mini, Hates Flash. So do I.

Reaction score
Ok, my girlfriends bought me a 1.25 g4 mac mini to use in the living room to listen to spotify and to watch youtube and BBC iPlayer, 4od etc (uk tv catchup)

I am now aware that g4 macs can no longer cope with flash videos as adobe are lazy, useless, shortsighted... I could go on.

Everywhere I read says that its hopeless, I've tried firefox, camino etc. I've also tried different versions of flash but most sites now demand flash 10 anyway.

Flash videos sound fine but are massively jerky. The processor just cant keep up.

Before I sell my christmas present on and risk a kick in the teeth from my missus is there anything else I could try?

I've looked at swapping the internals out to intel compatible stuff but that would cost more than buying a brand new unit.

I do have 2 dual core macbooks as our main computers, could I use one of these to stream iPlayer, youtube from to the mac mini? Basically control the macbooks from the mini? Remote desktop seems to do this (obviously!) but also costs a fair amount.
Would I still have the problem that the g4 processor cannot keep up? Im not sure how remote desktop really functions.

Anybody got any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem is you cannot update the G4 to Intel, and it is now a six year old computer. Just risk the kick in the teeth and get what you can for it. If you are very smart she may not even notice if you upgrade to an Intel mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.