All Sits Lost In Populars Tab, Why ???

Reaction score
Hi

When adding websites (Bookmarks) to populars, how does one keep them permanently ? Today on the 1st of Jan i switched on my Mac and all websites from the populars tab have been removed.. showing only a white empty file with no link to the site, some sites still remain with there icons (don't know why) but the rest have been removed. I'm talking hundreds of sites saved over several months, this would take me days to go online and manually gain all sites back by hand. Went in to Safari > preferences > RSS, and settings were already set at remove articles (Never) So what has actually happened here ? How do i get my sites back ??? :Grimmace: :Grimmace: :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you restarted yet ??
Try repairing permissions via Disk Utility then log out and back in .. .

Reset Safari ??

Just a few to look at. But i would either Repair Permissions or use onyX or MainMenu and clean your system up 1st then log out and back in . . .
Post back if that doesnt fix you up

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm going to assume by "populars" you mean Top Sites?

Have you cleared the cache, history, or reset Safari before this happened? Did you run any cleanup utilities like Onyx or Cocktail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm going to assume by "populars" you mean Top Sites?

Have you cleared the cache, history, or reset Safari before this happened? Did you run any cleanup utilities like Onyx or Cocktail?

Funny how we get a different idea from the words written on a page ...... I took it for the *Popular* tab on the Bookmark Bar ?!?!?!?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Funny how we get a different idea from the words written on a page ...... I took it for the *Popular* tab on the Bookmark Bar ?!?!?!?!?!

Is that like a foreign version of OS X thing or something? I don't think I've ever seen a "populars" tab on the Bookmarks bar, but maybe it's just been too long since I've seen a fresh install of Safari lol.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I was trying to figure out what the op was talking about also - forgot about that 'Popular' bookmark. That's one of the first things to get deleted when I'm setting up a new browser.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score

Yes i ran Onyx one week ago to clean the system, but all websites after that still remained up until now. What I'm really confused about is why some folders still contain many websites whilst others have been deleted completely? To gain back all sites manually online by tapping in www. xxx for all websites lost will be madness. Is there nothing that can help retrieve the loss of all my sites ? how about Time Machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.