New to Mac!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I had some money lying around and decided to go to the Apple Store and buy myself a 13" Macbook Pro. I got to say that so far, I love this thing! It is my new baby. I have been wanting one of these for the longest time.

Anyway, the trip to the Apple Store was a breeze. I was first thinking about going to the much closer BestBuy, but then I remembered my last laptop nightmare there. They wanted me to go above and beyond to hire their underexperienced $5/hr. Geeksquad and did nothing but pester me all the way until I walked out the doors. Apple on the other hand was quick and easy. I walked up to some random person who looked like he was dying for a sale, said I wanted an Apple MBP he went ahead and got it, gave me a free printer and even gave me a 50% discount on a Speck case for it! No catches to buy software or some over-rated warrantee (excluding Apple Care which I've had a pleasant experience with in the past).

Overall, it was a great experience and I cherished every moment. :p Here I am today with my new MBP and a new member on Mac Forums. Anybody have any recommended useful software I should also load up on my new Mac?

Thanks!
-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Congrats on the new Mac! Here are some of my favorite apps:
- Bean (a free word processing app if you don't have word)
- Bowtie (shows the current song your playing in iTunes, on your desktop)
- Senuti (allows you to transfer music from iPhone/iPod/iPad to your new iTunes library)

p.s: Glad you like your Mac. :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to Mac Forums. Glad you are enjoying your new MBP! If you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to ask and we will do our best to help you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 4GB 1TB Mem.
Hey guys!

I had some money lying around and decided to go to the Apple Store and buy myself a 13" Macbook Pro. I got to say that so far, I love this thing! It is my new baby. I have been wanting one of these for the longest time.

Anyway, the trip to the Apple Store was a breeze. I was first thinking about going to the much closer BestBuy, but then I remembered my last laptop nightmare there. They wanted me to go above and beyond to hire their underexperienced $5/hr. Geeksquad and did nothing but pester me all the way until I walked out the doors. Apple on the other hand was quick and easy. I walked up to some random person who looked like he was dying for a sale, said I wanted an Apple MBP he went ahead and got it, gave me a free printer and even gave me a 50% discount on a Speck case for it! No catches to buy software or some over-rated warrantee (excluding Apple Care which I've had a pleasant experience with in the past).

Overall, it was a great experience and I cherished every moment. :p Here I am today with my new MBP and a new member on Mac Forums. Anybody have any recommended useful software I should also load up on my new Mac?

Thanks!
-D

Congrats! On the MBP!

I convinced my mom (MB) and sis (MBP) to get the Apple. Both bought them on the same day. They said they will never go back.

VEG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook air 13" Iphone 5
I am new to mac as well after using windows pc's for far too long I finally made the switch to mac. I got a macbook air 13" for christmas and wish I had done it many many years ago, it runs soooo much smother than any windows operating system i have ever used. Apple has a new fan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am new to mac as well after using windows pc's for far too long I finally made the switch to mac. I got a macbook air 13" for christmas and wish I had done it many many years ago, it runs soooo much smother than any windows operating system i have ever used. Apple has a new fan.

Glad you like your Mac! If you have any questions we are all here to help you. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I wish I had some money laying around.... :)

Enjoy your new machine and have a Happy New Year!

Reaction score
i wish i had gone to Apple instead of Best Buy, maybe I could have gotten the deal you got!

But oh well. Glad you're enjoying your MBP just as much as I am!! I just got mine about a month ago and man this is such a great computer!! Too bad I couldn't afford one years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
The one recommendation I can make (and this may be in the thread linked above) is to download and run OnyX periodically. It's a maintenance/clean-up utility I had never heard of it 'til a few days ago. When I downloaded it and ran it on my 4 year old MBP it shortened the start-up time from 1.5 minutes to 30 seconds.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
Another freebie you might be interested in is Neo Office. You can download it from neooffice.com. It has everything the full version of MS Office (Windows version) has and the word processing files can be saved to the Word format. t can open and write Word and excel files as well as Powerpoint. I have used it and it is a wonderful program. Perhaps not as powerful as MS Office, but just as useful. Unlike MS Office for MAC it even has a database program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MBA, iPhone 4
Hello! I'm glad you started this thread, as I just purchased my first Mac, an 11" MBA today (mainly just for portability). There looks like there is a lot of good advice here and helpful people, so I am looking forward to being a part of the Mac community!

Reaction score
what exactly do those maintenance programs do? LIke what are they cleaning up on the computer and all that?

I really don't know anything about computers : (

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello! I'm glad you started this thread, as I just purchased my first Mac, an 11" MBA today (mainly just for portability). There looks like there is a lot of good advice here and helpful people, so I am looking forward to being a part of the Mac community!

Congrats on the new Mac! If you have any questions we will be excited to answer them ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
JonsMac, it is cleaning up histories/caches/etc and doing the stuff that Disk Utility does, like repairing and verifiying permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.