Wireless Router Suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive
I am looking to replace an old router of mine, a Linksys by Cisco WRTP54G Wireless-G Broadband Router. Can anyone suggest a good router to compliment my new 13" MBP? I have Broadband and I will not be more then 30-40 ft away from the router. Thanks.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the difference between the AirPort Express and the AirPort Extreme Base Station?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Someone else will probably give you more details but, the Express is really for streaming music around the house. It will work as a router but the Express does a lot more and has more features and ports. It's a great router with very good WiFi range.

I have had (as well as many others here) great luck with the Dlink DIR-655. Excellent N router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
+1 for D-Link. So easy to set up and ultra reliable.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info on the DLink - after the suggestions and reading reviews on it, it looks like this is going to be my next purchase!

Reaction score
Wireless router connection

I had the D-link and my MBP would drop my connection all the time. I switched to the airport extreme and everything has been working fine going on a year since I did this. The extreme allows you to connect a printer so you have wireless printing too.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I've had the DLink 655 for about a week now and I'm very pleased with it. Again, thanks for the recommendation!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Buy what you wish but steer clear of Netgear!

Reaction score
Had some very bad luck with my last Linksys wireless router. Sadly I don't remember the model, but it would CONSTANTLY redirect us to random websites. For example, Google.com would send us to something called "weblogic" My wife uses Facebook, it constantly redirected her to either Moviefone, or Myspace, and the list continued. Sometimes it worked properly, and restarting it always corrected the problem for at least 15 minutes or so. But it always returned, and when it acted that way, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the page you wanted to load. Turned out with that particular model and one other by Linksys, it was a very common problem. Replaced it with an Airport Extreme, and have not had so much as one issue with it. Great range, very reliable! I am sure there are other great ones out there, but can't go wrong with the Airport :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.