DELL ACER Monitor Mackbook Pro Problem Blowing HDMI HELP?

Reaction score
Here is my BIG PROBLEM……..
I bought a dell monitor from best buy to connect to my 13inch Mbp (4g ram)
I used the mini display port to hdmi adapter and connected the monitor via hdmi.
Everything worked perfect!......until I restarted my computer, then I was getting “No Signal” and the monitor went into energy saving mode.
I realize there are lots of threads out there about external monitors going into energy saving mode and not coming back out of it.
No one goes into detail about the sequence of events that made the monitor a sitting duck.:Angry:

I restated my mbp without turning off the dell monitor.
I read somewhere that when hdmi cables are pulled out of the monitor without turning the monitor off first, that the circuit could get fried.
And yes I went into system preferences and went to display and clicked detect displays……nothing. I also unplugged all cables and reconnected them and shut down and restarted my mbp.

Needless to say I returned that dell monitor and got an ACER monitor.
I plugged it in the same way as the DELL.
Mini display port to hdmi adapter – hdmi cable to the monitor.
Once again, everything looked great. I even turned the monitor off FIRST, and then shutdown my mbp. Then restarted and turned on the monitor and everything was great.
Then I restarted my computer with the monitor ON and I got NO SIGNAL!!!!!!
It went downhill from there……..
The monitor went to sleep and wouldn’t come out of it.
I did all the usual reconnecting and unplugging
When I unplug the mini display port adapter and replug it in my mbp the screen goes blue for a moment and my ACER monitor flickers, like it recognizes a connection but then…….the monitor says NO signal

The monitor does work on my PC via VGA

Before I return another monitor and have the same issues I wanted to know if there was an explanation?

Is my mbp blowing the hdmi circuit of the monitor when I restart with the monitor ON?
Is that the same as yanking the hdmi cord out when the monitor is on, which I believe to be bad.

I don’t want to do mini display port to vga because I want Digital!!!!
BTW my PC restarts perfect with the monitor ON.

If this is relievant, I have an audio interface connected via firewire to my mbp, does that clash with the audio aspect of hdmi cables and blow something?

PLEASE HELP
Thanks
-Strike Out Monitor King:\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the Acer have a DVI input? If it does, try going from your Mini Display Port (using the proper adapter) to a DVI cable and into the Acer.

That's how I do it with my Samsung monitor and it works fine.

And as far as audio is concerned, we can't help you with that because you forgot to mention which year model MBP you have. Only the newer MBP machines output audio and video via the Mini Display Port. Older models have no audio. A separate cable is needed.

OP
S
Reaction score
ansell edubcond

Does the Acer have a DVI input? If it does, try going from your Mini Display Port (using the proper adapter) to a DVI cable and into the Acer.

That's how I do it with my Samsung monitor and it works fine.

And as far as audio is concerned, we can't help you with that because you forgot to mention which year model MBP you have. Only the newer MBP machines output audio and video via the Mini Display Port. Older models have no audio. A separate cable is needed.

Thanks for responding!!!
Here are the specs of my gear
ACER H233H
MBP
osx 10.65
Processor 2.53 ghz
Intel core 2 duo
Memory 4gb 1067 mhz ddr3
Model 5,5
I bought my MBP in 2009 new from the mac store

Yes the ACER does have an DVI input, I will need to buy the mini display port to DVI adapter, but I truly think the HDMI input is broken on my ACER and that bugs me because I just bought it 5 hours ago!

Audio doesn't concern me, my recording interface is my default driver, so all audio goes through my studio monitors.

Is it possible to blow the HDMI port of the ACER by a restart or shutdown of my MBP while the ACER is ON?

It’s strange this exact problem has happened with two brands of monitors, DELL and ACER
The exact same problem, everything is fine until a restart while the monitor is ON.:|
Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it possible to blow the HDMI port of the ACER by a restart or shutdown of my MBP while the ACER is ON?

I don't see how since there shouldn't be a current surge that would cause it. Something else is going on and until you try the DVI connection, we can't tell where the fault lies.

It’s strange this exact problem has happened with two brands of monitors, DELL and ACER
The exact same problem, everything is fine until a restart while the monitor is ON.

Let's try the DVI first. I'm thinking the Dell monitor like the Acer is not broken. Of course on the off chance that the Acer did toast up, you can always return it.

Also, you can try resetting the Acer to see what happens. Power it down for awhile, power it back up and reset it to factory default. It may have suffered temporary brain damage when you rebooted and no signal got through.

And... Happy New Year.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't see how since there shouldn't be a current surge that would cause it. Something else is going on and until you try the DVI connection, we can't tell where the fault lies.

Let's try the DVI first. I'm thinking the Dell monitor like the Acer is not broken. Of course on the off chance that the Acer did toast up, you can always return it.

Also, you can try resetting the Acer to see what happens. Power it down for awhile, power it back up and reset it to factory default. It may have suffered temporary brain damage when you rebooted and no signal got through.

And... Happy New Year.

Ok, tomorrow I will Swap my HDMI adapter for the DVI.
I googled it, and I can't seem to find how to reset the ACER to factory settings.
I will Unplug it over night and try in the morning before I head out to best buy.
Mabye I just need to wait for the new year for monitors to work for me haha..
Happy New Year

OP
S
Reaction score
I returned it all
I got an LG w2240t
DVI adapter and 24 pin DVI CABLE
Everything works great except.........
IF i'm in full screen mode on the LG like on youtube and click on my MBP desktop the LG goes out of full screen mode.
this happens in general, if im doing something on one screen and move to the other the screen not in use, it goes light gray at the top.
this didn't happen with the ACER or DELL
How do if fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just helped out another user with a similar problem. The solution is to run the LG from your MBP in clamshell mode. See this Apple KB article on how to run from clamshell mode.

BTW, that's how I use my Samsung external monitor and MB.

OP
S
Reaction score
I just helped out another user with a similar problem. The solution is to run the LG from your MBP in clamshell mode. See this Apple KB article on how to run from clamshell mode.

BTW, that's how I use my Samsung external monitor and MB.

I actually need to have both monitors up for my home studio, I run pro tools 9. One window on each screen.

The problem only happens when watching full screen movies from the internet,
Is that normal?

i wouldn't be watching youtube while working in pro tools, but if i have a youtube vid on full screen on the lg and want to surf the web on the MBP as soon as i click the MBP full screen shrinks

However it is annoying when working in pro tools. When I click the opposite monitor the dark gray bar at the top of the screen turns light gray. I can see this in my peripheral vision and it bugs me. But……If this is normal, then I won’t worry about it.
BTW The ACER and DELL going through HDMI did not do this.

Thanks you have been really helpful

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.