Headphone Jack

Reaction score
My headphone jack isn't working, but it's not the normal problem as there is no red light and the sound works fine as long as there are no headphones plugged in. When I plug in headphones, the sound icon at the top of the screen turns grey and in sound settings it says it's in optical mode. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get it out of optical mode? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Strange that it's stuck in optical mode but no red light? Anyway, try moving the headphone jack in and out and gently wiggling it a bit to see if you can release it.

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried that for about an hour straight to no avail. The fact that there's no red light makes me think that it may be a software issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess a software problem could cause it but that would be rare indeed. The jack switching into optical mode when the headphones are plugged in is almost always a hardware problem. That the red light is not on is unusual but does not necessarily mean it's being caused by software.

You can try reinstalling OS X if you feel strongly enough that there is some software glitch that's causing it. Make sure you have a Time Machine backup first before reinstalling.

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried reinstalling the OS and it made no difference. So what actually makes the jack go into digital mode?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The jack goes into digital audio mode when a small switch like lever in the jack itself get stuck in that position. However, usually the red light comes on. Sometimes the jack can get unstuck by moving the plug in and out. You might also try using a sturdy but thin toothpick to see if you can trip it.

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried that for about 2 hours too. I guess I can keep playing with that and see if I manage to trip it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.