Viewing pdf or doc on 'net always downlods

mws

Reaction score
Hi,

It seems that whenever I view a .pdf or word .doc on the internet, it causes a download into my downloads folder. How can I stop this from happening?

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

That is what happens. When you double click on the item, it is downloaded to your machine and then opens. Normal behaviour. Just purge your Downloads folder from time to time.

OP
M

mws

Reaction score
That is what happens. When you double click on the item, it is downloaded to your machine and then opens. Normal behaviour.

On second thought, when on a webpage and click on a link or doc to read, a window pops up and asks if I wish to "open" or save. When choosing "open", it still saves to my download folder.

Is that right? (sorry for the dumb question, but I mostly work on PC)

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you're using Firefox or Opera, just like on the PC, you'll need a plugin to display it in the browser.

Safari and Chrome come with plugins built-in.

sma

Reaction score
What web browser are you using?

I was equally annoyed by my rapidly filling downloads folder--primarily because I always felt like I needed to sort through it in case I forgot to move something that I actually needed before I deleted everything. In Firefox (which is what I use) you can change the preferences (under the "general" tab) so that it always asks you where you want to save your downloads. If you use this option, whenever you want to actually keep something that you are downloading, just use the save instead of download. Then you can just periodically purge your downloads folder (without having to sort through it).

There may be a better way to do this, but if there is, I don't know it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.