Help - iMac G5 1.8Ghz - Booting Problems

Reaction score
When powering up my iMac G5, the screen comes on and the familiar Mac chime is heard, and usually followed by a complete shutdown. I power it up again, the same thing happens - another shutdown.

Usually after 2 or 3 of these episodes, the machine will proceed a little further with the boot where you see the status bar and it look like everything is booting just fine. Then it does a complete shutdown again!

After about 5 to 6 times, the machine will finally boot up and it works great!!

I have removed the hard drive completely, reseated the memory and video card but this same process seems to occur every time I want to use this machine.

I would hate to replace the power supply only to find out it really was not the culprit. The same goes for other parts.

If anyone's got experience with this or might have a solution I can try, I would definitely be interested in hearing from you.

Thank you...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would hate to replace the power supply only to find out it really was not the culprit. The same goes for other parts.

Unfortunately, that's where you're going to have to start. It sure looks like you have a failing power supply. And the more you keep turning that machine on and off to get it working, possible damage is being done to other components.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.