Play background sound in web browser of Mac pc

Y

yu2

I am having a problem getting a background sound to play in the web browsers of Mac.

Actually what I would like to do is a sound should be played auotmatically once a web page is loaded without clicking on anything to play the sound. I have used the tag and this is only works fine in IE, not for other web browsers in Mac. I have tried using the tags <embed> and <noembed><bgsound></noembed>, but the background sound is not played when I opened the HTML page in Mac.

Hope someone could give me some idea to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

These are the HTML code:

Code:
<embed src="Testing.mp3" hidden=true autostart=true>
<noembed><bgsound src="Testing.mp3"></noembed>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
please ntoe that playing background music is kinda considered amateurish. I would advise against that. It increases page load time and personally, i find it annoying

as alexis said, get it to a .wav file and see if it works.

OP
B

bhanson

Please don't, or my Pooh will spawn little green monkies at you.

No really, even if converting it to a wav works, the file will be an unwieldy size, and a lot of people run audio processes in the background while browsing, so they would conflict. If you really feel the need to use audio, embed it into a flash applet, that's the best way to do it IMHO.

HTH

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Click me!

I guess as long as its not too bad of a sound file, you'll be fine. :eek:

OP
Y

yu2

bhanson said:
Please don't, or my Pooh will spawn little green monkies at you.

No really, even if converting it to a wav works, the file will be an unwieldy size, and a lot of people run audio processes in the background while browsing, so they would conflict. If you really feel the need to use audio, embed it into a flash applet, that's the best way to do it IMHO.

HTH

bhanson, what do u mean by "embed it into a flash applet"? Is it the only way to solve my problem? Could you give me some idea?

OP
B

bhanson

yu2 said:
bhanson, what do u mean by "embed it into a flash applet"? Is it the only way to solve my problem? Could you give me some idea?

The best example I can think of is not online anymore. It was an Unreal Tournament team's website, High Voltage. They had a small square applet in the top right hand of the website under the header with a green circle and it played "High Voltage by (Blink 182??)". You could press the green circle and it would turn into a red circle and the music would stop playing. Pressing it again would turn the music back on.

It was a simple, easy way to allow the users to turn the music off if they didn't like it.

Use music if you like, but give an easy way to turn it off.

OP
Y

yu2

bhanson said:
The best example I can think of is not online anymore. It was an Unreal Tournament team's website, High Voltage. They had a small square applet in the top right hand of the website under the header with a green circle and it played "High Voltage by (Blink 182??)". You could press the green circle and it would turn into a red circle and the music would stop playing. Pressing it again would turn the music back on.

It was a simple, easy way to allow the users to turn the music off if they didn't like it.

Use music if you like, but give an easy way to turn it off.

Do you mean by play the sound with a sound player? Use the sound player to let the user controls the sound play, stop and pause, is it?

OP
R

ryanyogan

Look you can use html however it has to be in WAV format, why would a browser play MP3??? You can use flash, or java just google it up!!! Either way don't waste your time, I refuse to visit any site with music, I even hate visiting a bands site with flash that doesn't allow me to turn it off!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.