Network help..am I being too ambitious with what a mac can do?

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am a windows convert now using an imac and a mac book pro.

This is what i am trying to achieve:

1.I want my imac to recognise my macbook pro and if I need, to be able to add files/folders to it, to take files/folders from it

2.I want my macbook pro to also recognise my imac on a network, and again, add/remove/transfer files between imac/macbook pro

3.I'd like any external hard drives attached to my imac , and or printer to be recognised by my macbook pro, again also need to transfer files and folders

This is what has happened so far after looking through web articles etc:

1.My macbook pro sees my imac and doesn't allow me any access to files and folders

2.My macbook pro sees only 1 external hard drive and fully allows me to transfer and exchange files beween my mbp and the external drive

3.My imac simply doesn't recognise my macbook pro.

Are my network requirements too ambitious for a mac system to do or am I ( most likely) doing something hopelessly wrong?

I have poured over article after article online to get this far and finding this experience incredibly frustrating as i am unsure if it is my poor mac/network skills that are preventing me from doing this or if it is the mac system that is incapable of doing what i want :-(

all replies gratefully accepted, even the obvious sarcastic ones!

I have looked online for help before posting this.

I am using mac osx 10.6.5 on both imac and mbp

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is something wrong somewhere. I do everything you want to do and even between Windows and Mac systems.

Can you tell us how you have everything hooked up? In System Preferences/Sharing do you have File Sharing enabled for starters?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Well to start, do you have file sharing enabled on both the machines?

edit: beaten to it by mere seconds =|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ill take a little stab at sharing the 2 machines.

I have a old iMac and a new MBP and they are both on my Home wireless network. I can get onto the web with both of them.
Now i can swap files between them both over this net work.
All i did was to set them both up in System Preferences>Sharing

20101230-m4c2sc2nd19gdp1ib1a9whu59p.jpg

And then comes up under Sharing
20101230-f2ek4bn7idw2agfsrf4f87xkpa.jpg

Looking at the image this is what is checked for me to see the iMac on my network

Seeing the HDD on the network, i havnt tried that yet to be able to help

OP
B
Reaction score
There is something wrong somewhere. I do everything you want to do and even between Windows and Mac systems.

Can you tell us how you have everything hooked up? In System Preferences/Sharing do you have File Sharing enabled for starters?

Hi, I have file sharing and printer sharing turned ' on' on both machines, and for the purpose of trying to get this to work, set 'read and write' to all users

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are both computers connected to a router? Have you clicked on Options in File Sharing? Is AFP checked?

In Security is the Firewall enabled? What settings are selected in the Firewall?

OP
B
Reaction score
Are both computers connected to a router? Have you clicked on Options in File Sharing? Is AFP checked?

In Security is the Firewall enabled? What settings are selected in the Firewall?

both computers access the internet via a wireless router.

when i purchased the mac system the guys in the apple store told me not to worry about anti virus or firewall software as macs are not affected.

I do not know if the mac os has a 'default' firewall or not. I know i have not purchased and installed any 3rd party software.

'fire sharing' and AFP are both checked

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you check the Sharing and Options and be sure AFP is checked?

The OSX Firewall is in System Preferences, Security and the Firewall Tab.

OP
B
Reaction score
Making progress...

Ok, I can now get BOTH the imac and the mac book pro to recognise each other in the 'shared' folder and transfer files.

However, despite turning on 'share' options, none of the external drives attached to my desk top imac are recognised by my mac book pro. ALL sharing settings are ON an and I have set unrestricted read/write access to all users.

getting my mbp to recognise the external drives would be a huge win for me....still not sure what more i can do, but at least the imac and mbp are talking. not ideal at all as i really liked the idea of sharing files that are on the external drives attached to the imac from my mac book pro :-(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Sharing, Hit the + under Shared Folders. When the Finder comes up, click on the external drive and add it to the shared list. That should work for you. In Snow Leopard now and I have all my external drives shared that way.

OP
B
Reaction score
In Sharing, Hit the + under Shared Folders. When the Finder comes up, click on the external drive and add it to the shared list. That should work for you. In Snow Leopard now and I have all my external drives shared that way.

hi, and thanks so much for your continued help. i have done exactly as you have suggested above,with all permissions etc turned on but my macbook pro still won't recognise any external drives under 'shared':-(
i have tripled checked the drives are turned on and functioning.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to use a little utility called SharePoints but I am pretty sure it's not on this new iMac I just got. What SharePoints did was enable sharing of external drives. I will check a few things and get back to you.

OP
B
Reaction score
the problem I am having is where the drives are under 'shared' folders there is a box next to it called' users', and the '+' and '-' keys are greyed out, so i cant add users to it :-( everything is enabled etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
the problem I am having is where the drives are under 'shared' folders there is a box next to it called' users', and the '+' and '-' keys are greyed out, so i cant add users to it :-( everything is enabled etc.

They are only usually greyed out if the Authentication Lock lower left is locked. Make sure that is unlocked via Admin Password

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are only usually greyed out if the Authentication Lock lower left is locked. Make sure that is unlocked via Admin Password

Thanks for posting that. I had a phone call then forgot to mention that.

OP
B
Reaction score

Lol..yep, believe it or not, It was unlocked via admin password, and still greyed out. Im just going to have to live without this 'feature' of owning a mac, its far too frustrating....even more so when I was told that such a set up would be simple to set up and easy to run.

these external disks were formatted to read both windows and mac os...I am guessing this might be the issue, but can't see why, as the imac reads them just fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have the externals formatted in FAT32 then? It still should work. I will try a FAT32 drive when I get back home later and get back to you.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have added a WD passport drive formatted to Mac OS X Journaled and it shows up fine on my macbook pro when it is attached to my iMac.

I believe that formatting drives to work with both windows and macs seems to be the issue :-(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have added a WD passport drive formatted to Mac OS X Journaled and it shows up fine on my macbook pro when it is attached to my iMac.

I believe that formatting drives to work with both windows and macs seems to be the issue :-(

Sorry I have not had to time to back up an external and format it FAT32 to test it. Will do it ASAP and get back to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.