Spilled on my macbook...

Reaction score
I am in a bind here guys, about 12 hours ago I spilt water all over my macbook pro while it was on, and then it turned off right away. I didn't turn it back on and I took the back off and have had it drying out with a fan on it ever since. I've been reading different threads that are similar to this one and everyone suggests that I take the battery out. The only problem is that the screws are 5 point and I do not know where to get a screwdriver, (are there any other screwdrivers than this one? 5-Point Torx Plus Pentalobe MacBook Pro Battery Removal Tool - iFixit ) I don't have time to order that screwdriver due to my warranty expiring in a week. I was wondering if there's any other type that anyone has used instead of that product. Sorry for typing so much but I could use any help thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You need a torx screwdriver, get to your local hardware store, they most likely keep them in stock, just make sure you get the right size one.

- Simon

Reaction score
once i spilled water all over my macbook too. i quickly took the batttery off and placed it upside down. luckily it survived, but a month later the software update had messed my system due to upgrading on wifi. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Try putting your computer in a bowl of rice. This will extract the liquid. Make sure the whole computer is covered. Leave it there for 1-2 days. Good luck!

Reaction score
Yep I also have the same problem, it's actually my sisters problem but since I'm the computer geek she looks to me to solve it. I did everything the sticky said, except remove the battery because I can't, I think my sis has a macbook with the built in battery, as I see not latch. And if I did wouldn't that void the warranty?

So, will that affect my chances the notebook will start up again once it's dried? I also notice that the battery LED lights, 4 of them stayed lit up for about 5 minutes after the notebook was shut down. No blinking, no flashing, just on for a solid 5 minutes.

Might I add that my sister tried several times to start the machine up after the spill, she -not being the computer geek that I am- made another crucial mistake.

Again, what are my chances? She said that very little water entered the USB, and other ports, and that the laptop was removed immediately. I believe her because when she called me after the spill the ports looked dry...

The said laptop is currently in a box full of rice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What are your chances ??? Your guess is as good as ours.... On saying that though Water+Electrics=Death in 99% of cases.

There has been one or 2 miracle stories about them starting after water, but down the track there has been problems . . . oxidisation and the such

leave it as long as possible before trying to start it up again though

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
except remove the battery because I can't, I think my sis has a macbook with the built in battery, as I see not latch. And if I did wouldn't that void the warranty?

Your warranty was gone the minute the liquid touched the computer. Pulling the battery would have been a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 13" <3
I dont want to put positives on this but you probably aren't in that much trouble as long as it was just water. I've spilt water on plenty of laptops, a couple of iPhones and plenty of other electronics, and most of the time they have ended up ok. Apple replaced 2 iPhones in the last year that I spilt water on and didn't ask any questions, just swapped them over - obviously I didn't tell them that it was water damage.

Just thought I'd put my 2p in as everyone else is saying its as good as dead. Just hold out till its visibly dry then see if it works, and if by chance it doesn't then try and get Apple to replace it and play dumb. Most 'water' damage tends to be other liquids, acidic substances such as orange juice or coca cola do a lot more damage than a bit of water does, just because its wet doesn't mean its terribly harmful - as long as your computer has been off the damage will be minimal.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wow does it really works? have you tried it before?

This is false hope. For this to have worked, it would have needed to happen right after the spill and the machine would have to have been sealed in a box with the rice.

Please read the thread I posted previously for more info.

Reaction score
This is false hope. For this to have worked, it would have needed to happen right after the spill and the machine would have to have been sealed in a box with the rice.

Please read the thread I posted previously for more info.

Thanks, I'll read it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.