Well this sucks

Reaction score
Earlier today at Starbucks i spilled hot chocolate on my macbook pro... Thankfully it only got a small corner of the comp and i cleaned it up very quickly. It works fine but I can see when the keyboard lights up that the play button and skip button at the top of the keyboard are brownish underneath when they light up cuz of the hot chocolate, and a bit sticky to push. however, thankfully they still work. Is there any way I could sort of pop those keys out and clean underneath to get the brown and sticky off? if i did this can i pop them back in? I have 3 year warranty on the computer, is it worth it to send into apple for a repair?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Apple won't fix it as it is accidental damage, which is not covered by Applecare.

And getting to the keyboard on Macs is a hassle. Check out ifixit.com to see if they have a keyboard disassembly link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
This is the one reason why if I did not get a student discount I would have never bought my mac from apple. Bestbuy has the best warranty ever. Hardware warranty, and accident warranty = Awesome. Anyway, ifixit.com should help you out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok i took the key off and attempted to clean underneath, but no matter what I do the brown color will not go away. is there any sort of safe bleach i could use to make the key shine white again that wouldnt hurt the laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ok i took the key off and attempted to clean underneath, but no matter what I do the brown color will not go away. is there any sort of safe bleach i could use to make the key shine white again that wouldnt hurt the laptop?

LOL there is no such thing as a safe bleach ;P

When i had my White MB i just used a damp cloth with a mildish cleaner on them and they came up crystal . . . . There is no magic fairy dust cleaner out there. Just use a little common sense

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
LOL there is no such thing as a safe bleach ;P

When i had my White MB i just used a damp cloth with a mildish cleaner on them and they came up crystal . . . . There is no magic fairy dust cleaner out there. Just use a little common sense

I have magic fairy dust... Use a microfiber with little water on it. Do you think that the hot chocolate could be on the LED itself?

OP
M
Reaction score
I have magic fairy dust... Use a microfiber with little water on it. Do you think that the hot chocolate could be on the LED itself?

What do you mean on the LED itself? the screen? plus i did put a little Shout triple acting stain remover on a paper towel and attempted to clean it, but it did nothing to remove the brown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm thinking you should leave it as a constant reminder never to have liquids next to your computer and to be thankful how lucky you are not to have ruined you MacBook. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where is the hot chocolate, under the key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes forever and hopefully no liquid has found its way insides the machine, as forever maybe be a very short time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If some hot chocolate is on the key, put it in your mouth. You might think this is a joke, but it's not. Chocolate melting point is 93 F (34 C) so it might melt away ;D

Reaction score
If some hot chocolate is on the key, put it in your mouth. You might think this is a joke, but it's not. Chocolate melting point is 93 F (34 C) so it might melt away ;D

This really is brilliant. Seriously, get your tongue in there to dissolve the chocolate. Again, I'm not joking either.

If you don't want to get all oral on it, put it in hot tap water, and use a Q-tip. Though the mouth thing might be the key. Saliva will kick the snootles out of that chocolate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.