MBP Mini DVI Resolution?

Reaction score
When I connect my late 2008 MBP to my new 24" Acer Monitor via the Mini DVI port I cant get full resolution on the monitor. The screen is only about 3/4 full and appears to be a LOWER resolution than the screen on the laptop. The monitor is connected Mini DVI to DVI. went into System Preferences, Displays, it shows the laptop resolution as 1440x900 and the Monitor resolution as 1920x1080. My MBP's 9600GT is capable of 2560x1600 resolution so that shouldn't be the problem. Maybe it's the Monitor driver but I couldn't find an OSX driver for it.

Is there something I'm missing? Thanks

Product Model

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How do you have the Acer display setup? For example: Extended desktop or Mirror mode? Also, the native resolution of your Acer is 1920 x 1080. Any other resolution is going to cause distortion or a stretched picture.

If you want the Acer to display at 1920 x 1080 (its native res) you need to switch the display to the Acer and use it as primary. (setup as mirror mode) I do that very thing here with my Samsung monitor when at home. It's the same res as your Acer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Chscag, it's in Mirror mode. Also, I just tried using a mini-Displayport VGA to VGA with the same results. There is about 1" of blank space on both sides but the top and bottom are fine. It shows the monitor in 1920x1080 and in a video I put on it says it was in 10:9 aspect ratio.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't use a VGA adapter as it won't give you the same clarity as DVI. As for the 1" of blank space.... Do you have the Acer set as your primary display? Open System Preferences, Displays. Select Mirror mode and drag the menu bar to the Acer. See if that helps. (make sure it's set to display as 1920 x 1080)

When I have my Samsung hooked up, I use clamshell mode - which means that I have the top case of my MacBook closed. I also use an external keyboard and mouse when I do that. The Samsung becomes the primary display and as long as the display on the MacBook is off, I get the full 1920 x 1080 resolution. No 1" blank space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Chscag is correct. Using your MacBook in clamshell mode will allow the monitor to reach its full resolution.

OP
C
Reaction score
Don't use a VGA adapter as it won't give you the same clarity as DVI. As for the 1" of blank space.... Do you have the Acer set as your primary display? Open System Preferences, Displays. Select Mirror mode and drag the menu bar to the Acer. See if that helps. (make sure it's set to display as 1920 x 1080)

When I have my Samsung hooked up, I use clamshell mode - which means that I have the top case of my MacBook closed. I also use an external keyboard and mouse when I do that. The Samsung becomes the primary display and as long as the display on the MacBook is off, I get the full 1920 x 1080 resolution. No 1" blank space.

Yup, worked like a charm, thanks. As suggested, I used an external keyboard and mouse, with the laptop on and closed I plugged in the monitor using the mini-Displayport DVI to DVI and awakened the laptop with the keyboard. The monitor came on in full 1920x1080! Cool

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great. Thanks for posting back. Visit often and have a Happy New Year!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.