Low Frame Rate World of Warcraft

Reaction score
I have a 13" Macbook Pro, purchased in the Summer of 2009. I currently have 2gb of RAM and a 300gb Harddrive. Besides the hard drive, which is new, the MBP has the lowest specs capable for purchase at the time.

About 3 months ago my computer sustained damage which broke the hard drive, requiring a new one. A month later I noticed my fan whirring with great gusto, making a great deal of noise, however, by all measures its RPM would never top 1500. Temperatures for web browsing average 140F and when playing World of Warcraft would reach 210F average.

Now before I began experience framerate issues on my computer, I would often run WoW and VLC player side by side on my screen with 32fps on Wow. Recently, however, my framerate took a dive staying in the 8fps range on Wow in windowed full screen mode. It is impossible for Wow and the media player to run at the same time.

On windowed full screen mode Wow is averaging 60% CPU and I have 45mb of RAM remaining, whereas with web browsing I typically have 600mb remaining.

I have also recently began torrenting, but torrents are not active when playing World of Warcraft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I have a 13" Macbook Pro, purchased in the Summer of 2009. I currently have 2gb of RAM and a 300gb Harddrive. Besides the hard drive, which is new, the MBP has the lowest specs capable for purchase at the time.

About 3 months ago my computer sustained damage which broke the hard drive, requiring a new one. A month later I noticed my fan whirring with great gusto, making a great deal of noise, however, by all measures its RPM would never top 1500. Temperatures for web browsing average 140F and when playing World of Warcraft would reach 210F average.

Now before I began experience framerate issues on my computer, I would often run WoW and VLC player side by side on my screen with 32fps on Wow. Recently, however, my framerate took a dive staying in the 8fps range on Wow in windowed full screen mode. It is impossible for Wow and the media player to run at the same time.

On windowed full screen mode Wow is averaging 60% CPU and I have 45mb of RAM remaining, whereas with web browsing I typically have 600mb remaining.

I have also recently began torrenting, but torrents are not active when playing World of Warcraft.

Well are you in Dal when your frame rates start to drop?
Also, have you ever cleaned out your computer (physically)?
Run Onyx to ensure your hard drive is still good.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm in areas that shouldn't receive any lag at all. There is no discernible difference between areas that would traditionally give you lag and areas that don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in areas that shouldn't receive any lag at all. There is no discernible difference between areas that would traditionally give you lag and areas that don't.

What about the other two things I listed?

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't have the correct tools to physically open my computer in my current location, I will run Onyx now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need 10.6 to run Onyx, I currently have 10.5.8.

I appreciate your assistance! =)

What about Disk Utility at least?

And it could be over heating which, once you get a chance, clean out the inside.

OP
B
Reaction score
I ran disk utility which came up with no issues.

I also took my computer to the Apple Store when my fan issue was first discovered, before the fps issues. I was dissatisfied with my service, but the man informed me that I would either need a new fan or the ~$200 package which replaces the internal components of my computer.

Would upgrading my OS to Snow Leopard solve anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Snow Leopard is great. It is smaller than Leopard so it will take up less space on your HDD. The ram would help your speed greatly. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I need 10.6 to run Onyx, I currently have 10.5.8.

I appreciate your assistance! =)

HERE is .v 2.0.6 for Leopard 10.5.8 . . . .

Or look at MainMenu 1.7.4 Both would do a bigger Job than Disk Utility. I prefer MM This is the free .v so dont upgrade as it will upgrade to a paid version ....

As for SnowLeopard for $29 you cant go wrong

Cheers

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is it possible that the recent updates and changes since Cataclysm's release are the problem? My spouse tells me that some of the changes occur in 4.1 even of you have not installed Cataclysm. The changes look great but seem to require more horsepower than before.

OP
B
Reaction score
It could be this. With Cataclysm the recommended RAM went up from 2gb to 4gb, so we'll see.

Just got Snow Leopard, if I see no improvement I'll up my RAM.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted. Further suggestion would be great! =)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The extra ram might make a difference. If it doesn't you will likely notice the difference in other programs--particularly if you keep several other programs open. In either case the Snow Leopard upgrade is worth it.

BTW If you decide to do the memory upgrade it might be worth it to see if your machine can go beyond 4 GB. MacBook, MacBook Pro I'm not much of a gamer so check with some of your WoW buddies to see how much of a difference it would make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
The ram will help a lot if you decide to get it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Upgraded Operating System does nothing to improve performance.

I have a new theory. As the temperature of CPU A climbs, the FPS shoots down. Would a CPU at 222F be inhibited? Even at 202F the game FPS is very low.

Maybe it IS the broken fan. I think that will be my next step, before upgrading RAM. The Genius Bar told me that it is either the broken fan or a fault on the logic board not giving the fan the command to function.

Will be cracking open my computer today to see if I could simply clean the fan.

Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Upgraded Operating System does nothing to improve performance.

I have a new theory. As the temperature of CPU A climbs, the FPS shoots down. Would a CPU at 222F be inhibited? Even at 202F the game FPS is very low.

Maybe it IS the broken fan. I think that will be my next step, before upgrading RAM. The Genius Bar told me that it is either the broken fan or a fault on the logic board not giving the fan the command to function.

Will be cracking open my computer today to see if I could simply clean the fan.

Wish me luck!
Jesus christ.
222F = 104C.
That is extremely hot and will likely cause the processor to burn out. It is either the fan, not enough / too much thermal paste, or clogged vents. I would stop playing WoW instantly and get it figured out. Your processor can't handle that heat constantly, and you will be looking at a new machine much sooner if you don't get that under control.

OP
B
Reaction score
Its interesting, the Genius Bar seemed very convinced my computer would shut off before any lasting damage.

I'm not sure I trust the country bumpkin that helped me last, will investigate the fan now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.