MacBook Airport problem

Reaction score
Macbook
OSX 10.6.5

After a while of perfectly normal usage my Macbook stopped connecting to the internet (usually done through a NETGEAR router and AT&T). Although it had a full signal bar on the Airport icon it simply wouldn't connect. I tried various things but finally quit in disgust (after the Airport icon acquired an exclamation mark and an alarming "Alert: No Internet Connection") and the problem solved itself the next day.

Unfortunately, since that time the problem repeats itself, usually if I have to connect to another network or if my NETGEAR goes down in a blackout. I have no idea why it keeps happening and how to stop it but I would appreciate any advice.

Usually under System Preferences/Network/Assist me/Diagnostics the first three Network Status lights are green and the bottom three are either red or yellow.

Things I have tried:

Resetting the computer.
Clearing the PRAM
Changing the network location
Resetting the router
Manually changing the IP
Turning Airport on and off
Deleting the appropriate .plist files
Leaving the computer alone for a long time (this seems to be the only one with any success rate)

Right now the internet is working well but I never know when or why it will go down again and how to reliably fix it if it does. Please help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.