Is it comfortable using 2010 Macbook air 13 inch on your lap when sitting in bed

Reaction score
I was just wondering if it will be uncomfortable to have your Macbook air 13 -inch on your lap when you are browsing the web sitting in bed? I love to read in bed. I know it is way lighter than the Macbook the weight of which i found is crunching down on me when i set it on my lap for a while. So has anyone used the air 13 on your lap in bed and what do you think of its weight? thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
HEHE :D

Sorry, had to chuckle at this thread :p

Seeing that it weighs almost nothing, I'm sure that it is, however, should you? No!

Best way to overheat a notebook is getting comfortable with it resting on your blanket, doona, etc.

They have been renamed notebooks rather than laptops for that reason.
They need to breath, as far as heat and ventilation goes, but if the question is only about a featherweight object on your lap in bed... comfy indeed! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13MBP 2.4GHz Duo, 4 GB DDR3, Geforce 320M, 250GB HD
Comfortable yes, good for your laptop? Not so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
good for your laptop? Not so much.

It's not bad for your laptop either.

There are no vents on the bottom like conventional PC's so you can't clog the vents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I have used my MBP in bed before and haven't found it's weight to heavy, I imagine a MBA's weight is perfect.
However I don't put it directly on my lap in bed, I put a large format book (Children's Atlas) underneath it so it can breathe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It's not bad for your laptop either.

There are no vents on the bottom like conventional PC's so you can't clog the vents.

Not exactly true... the vents are at the back, in line with the bottom, which gets obstructed on your lap, chest, blanket, doona, etc.

Also, heat is released through the bottom of the unit between the tiny feet and the bottom of the unit being slightly elevated from the surface that it is sitting on.

The stands only make this better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Not exactly true... the vents are at the back, in line with the bottom, which gets obstructed on your lap, chest, blanket, doona, etc.

Also, heat is released through the bottom of the unit between the tiny feet and the bottom of the unit being slightly elevated from the surface that it is sitting on.

The stands only make this better.

If the laptop is on your chest, your chest wouldn't obstruct the vent unless you're extremely obese and your chest envelops the Mac.

And if it's on your lap and your legs are a little spread the area where your legs are spread enough for air to hit the bottom. And if it's just internet browsing it won't get hot enough to really matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm vary lean, and I've noticed that when using it on the chest or legs, in the positions that one must get comfortable to actually view and type, that blocking the vents in some way is inevitable.

Even putting a 13" or 15" MBP on a firm couch the machine sinks just enough to obstruct the ventilation that it otherwise has on a flat surface.
That back of the unit's with the weight of the display and the centre of gravity with the display open weigh down the back of the machine.

I have no doubt that even with the lighter weight or the MBAs, that this will still be the case to some degree.

At the end of the day, I notice that my MBP when I have it on a stand, runs approx 15°C (59°F) cooler on a stand than it does on my coffee table or desk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.