Help! Mouse Pad/Cursor Problems

Reaction score
I bought my Macbook Pro in August and haven't had any problems until now.

Yesterday I noticed that my mouse pad had some response problems and wouldn't do what I wanted. It only lasted maybe 5 seconds or so, but then it started working normally. Today, however, it was about 10-15 minutes that I was struggling to control my cursor. The mouse had a significant delay in response time and when it did move, it jumped big distances around my desktop. It was an effort to even restart my computer, and that didn't do anything. Clicking didn't pose any problems, and my keyboard works perfectly as well, it's just when I tried moving the cursor with my mouse pad.

I'm currently in the process of an update, but I'm absolutely baffled as to why my cursor is suddenly working now. It's back to how it's always been: responsive and quick. The fact that it was problematic for so long still leaves me a bit worried, ESPECIALLY because I recently moved to Kazakhstan. It's not like Mac Stores are a dime a dozen here...

Please help?? Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Did your drop you Mac Book Pro? I dropped mine :( (wasn't that bad) but the track pad sometimes takes more than one click to select the item I want. Maybe after the update everything will be fixed. Good luck!

OP
V
Reaction score
I didn't drop my computer--- the thought sends chills down my spine! And I tried updating but it always ends with an "error" message. I'm so frustrated, I can't even update the computer. I think it's because of my Internet though. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
Try downloading the combo update for your MBP from the Apple site, and installing that, could help you.

- Simon

OP
V
Reaction score
I couldn't find the update you were talking about, but I was finally able to do a couple of updates through my computer's own updating program. Thank you for trying to help though.

I'm just so frustrated, nothing has worked. I don't know why this problem continues, but what's more confusing is that it's not constant. I battle to control the cursor for maybe 40 minutes or so and then it suddenly starts working again for ten minutes but then starts all over again with the skipping and jumping. I'm fearing that this is only temporary, and sooner or later it will be like that 24/7. I have an extended warranty, but little good it does me half way around the world. And I can't get anyone from Apple to help me because I am only available via the Internet. My frustration is growing; I paid over $2000 for this MBP, plus warranty, because I wanted to come to Kazakhstan with a solid, reliable computer. The spyware and viruses that riddle the computers of my fellow volunteers are not of slightest concern to me, but now this happens and I have no idea why since I haven't spilled anything, dropped the computer or done anything else that could have explained this sudden malfunction.

I'm sorry for the rant, it's just, I use my computer to keep in touch with my family. Now I'm lucky if I can fight my cursor to open my applications folder and then Skype in less than 5 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Have you tried an external mouse?

OP
V
Reaction score
Have you tried an external mouse?

No, I don't have those resources. Anything electronic is insanely expensive out here. That would've been my next step if I were in the US.

New development. Same problems but one perplexing solution. If I rest my left hand next to the scroll pad (bottom, left side), then the cursor works again. It sounds strange, but I've proved this to myself again and again. Maybe it's the pressure? So strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
wow, you know, mines been doing that too....
Very minor delay. I try to move the mouse with my finger and it stays on the same spot. I use the 2 finger scroll then back to 1 finger mouse move and it comes back. It does it every once in a while so im not sure if its something i should be worried about.

Purchased my 17" MBP November 2010

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Could be a component loose on the logic board, there was a similar problem with one of the Macbooks a while ago, where you had to put pressure on the left hand side of the mouse pad, but underneath, because the on-board ram slots were coming loose.
Best to get it to a genius bar.

- Simon

OP
V
Reaction score
Could be a component loose on the logic board, there was a similar problem with one of the Macbooks a while ago, where you had to put pressure on the left hand side of the mouse pad, but underneath, because the on-board ram slots were coming loose.
Best to get it to a genius bar.

- Simon

Thanks so much for the feedback. That sounds like it could be it. Sad day. Well, I hope that putting pressure on the left side will continue to work for me. The soonest I'll be getting back to any genius bar is August 2012. I wish I was kidding lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.