setting up my mail app. ta work with my gmail account

F

Fallooza

sorry if its a dumb Q, but ive tryed ta set up my yahoo email ta work with my Mail app. with no luck. now that ive got a new gmail account i'm wanting ta set it up if posable. I am running Tiger, and i'm wanting ta know what information will i need to set it up.
1. what "account type" is gmail?
2. who or what is my "incoming mail server"?
and i cant seem ta get any farther than that
3. is there any other info i will need after Q2? (looks like i might need ta know who my out going mail server is)
sorry if the category shouldnt be iLife but i wasnt sure wich one i should of put it in.

Thanks for any and all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I was just about to try and get that FAQ from gmail but I forgot my office blocks free e-mail so I couldn't get it

OP
F

Fallooza

i just cant get it ta go any farther than this. i just dont know what i am doing wrong. the gmail address and password are correct i checked like a 100 time they are right. it has gotten me very frustrated. i think ive followed the directions right but maybe someone else can see what ive done wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I think you Incoming Mail Server username needs to just be your gmail username e.g. 'fallooza'... instead of including the full email address.

OP
F

Fallooza

sarahsboy18 said:
I think you Incoming Mail Server username needs to just be your gmail username e.g. 'fallooza'... instead of including the full email address.
it actualy says ta put it in. but i did try it with and without. has anyone else ran into this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I think the gmail "pop" system is having a problem lately. I have been using mail to access my gmail for almost a year now and the last few days, it has stopped working. Maybe gmail server is having trouble. I e-mailed gmail help for an answer, but havent heard from google yet. You may be doing everything right and it is a google system problem, then again, maybe not. i dunno, just know that after a year, all of a sudden mine isnt working anymore, going on 4 days now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Fallooza,

On the advanced tab, make sure that you have entered port number '995' and checked the box that says 'Use SSL'. Another thing you may wanna check is if you enabled POP access in your Gmail account.

Edit: I just setup an account and it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.