How to install OS X on clean system (not clean install) question

Reaction score
I"m looking at buying a used mac from a seemingly dependable source, the only thing I"m sketchy about is the fact that the system is wiped, but there is no OS at all. My question is first of all, should I even consider this, and if so, how do I install OS X on a clean system with no OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
You buy the OS X retail disc at Best Buy, or online from Apple for $29.

As far as if you should consider it, I would test the hard drive first if possible.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Umm it's more or less the same process. >_>" Format the HDD, and install the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 21.5 inch 3.06 ghz 4gb ram // macbook pro 2.53 ghz 4gb ram // mac mini 1.83ghz // mac pro g5 /
installing new os

like mentioned earlier, check to see how the hd is formatted. it should be guid for the models after the g5 and then enter the disc and let the wizard do it's work. i don't know how old the mac is your intending to buy but with anyone with intel processors or later this should work fine.
cheers, jc
ps. my bad. in my enthusiasm to help i just noticed that this is an older thread

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you give us a bit more info? Which model Mac is this? Power PC? Intel? A model if possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.