How do i install and open files??

Reaction score
OMG this mac is driving me crazy i have a version 10.5.8 im new to macs my first one but why IS IT SOO complicated?? on windows all you have to do is pop in a CD and install it.. but with MAC that is not the case.. i have tried downloading something called wine bottler?? to unzip it or something.. but i get this messasge when opening it with wine bottler ''You cant open this application because it is not supported on this architecture..also there is a circle around the wine bottler application with a slash inside..i mean ***?? why wont it let me use it?? can some one just please help me find something where i can download something and just open the file..:thanks...Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
You download it. The go to the location it was saved to and double click it. It then installs. Then it creates the file and you usually drag it to Applications. Not really hard or difficult to understand =/ Just like Windows except there are Apps instead of Program Files.

Google is a good source to use if you have questions.
Installing Applications in Mac OS X - Mac Guides

edit: http://www.cheapandsleazy.net/darwine.html this should explain everything...

edit 2: And if this is your first Mac, you should educate yourself if you have questions. Give this a look: Switch 101

OP
F
Reaction score
yes i know that.. i download the darwine and wine bottler.. then drag them into the applications folder but i still get that sign and the messasge you cant open this application because it is not supported on this architecture.. every time i download it they pop up with this across it..

2wqwoy1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can some one just please help me find something where i can download something and just open the file..:thanks...Angry:

yes i know that.. i download the darwine and wine bottler.. then drag them into the applications folder but i still get that sign and the messasge you cant open this application because it is not supported on this architecture.. every time i download it they pop up with this across it..

2wqwoy1.jpg

Sorry, was just answering your question.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're new to Macs, starting off by tring to install Windows apps is, quite frankly, not the way to go. You're just making it harder than it has to be, i.e. you're not doing yourself any favors.

Whatever type application you're looking for, I'd suggest you find a Mac native app to do it. Don't know of one? Just let us know what you need an app to do.

If you're insistant on using your old Windows apps, it'd be a lot easier by installing Windows. You've already got one learning curve to deal with in OS X. Learning to use Darwine is a whole other learning curve and that one is going to "require" some reading.

In any case, for help with your current issue, you need to provide a lot more info.
What Mac do you have and it's specs? Processor & Ram would help.
Specifically, what app are you trying to install?
What have you done so far?

Oh, and if you have an older PPC Mac, WineBottler will not run on that machine. It is Intel only, which would be why you're getting the message it's not supported on this architecture.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi floz313.

For any of us to help, we need to know what your exact problem is. You may think you've told us, but I'm certainly not clear in my mind.

To go over what the ever helpful s2odin has said:

Arrange for all downloads to go to your Downloads folder especially from the Internet. Let's take that first.

Assume you've downloaded "RipIT" purely as an example. Open the Downloads Folder. Double Click on "RipIT". It will open a window and ask you to drag the "RipIT" folder on to the Applications Folder. Thereafter it will install said application in Applications. On completion it may allow you to open it directly or you may need to go into Applications, find "RipIT" and open the programme (Application) by double clicking on it.

In the second situation, you may have purchased a DVD in which case insert it. It will automatically run, automatically install itself in Applications and then you're off.

If this hasn't helped or I've misunderstood your question, come back with more explicit details of what you did and what went wrong.

All the best for 2011.

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
ok these are the specs of my computer Apple PowerMac G5 Dual 2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 500GB OSX Leopard

all im really trying to do is get darwine or wine bottler to work is my computer to old to run it properly or something?all i do is go to the darwine website download it then it goes to my downloads folder then i double click it to open..darwine does open but it has that circle with the slash around it so it does not work properly. and i cannot open it i get the messasge you cant open this application because it is not supported on this architecture...also what does it mean when a file says zip on it? how would i go about unziping it or what program could i use??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok these are the specs of my computer Apple PowerMac G5 Dual 2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 500GB OSX Leopard

all im really trying to do is get darwine or wine bottler to work is my computer to old to run it properly or something? also what does it mean when a file says zip on it? how would i go about unziping it or what program could i use??

Macs automatically unzip .zip files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Oh, and if you have an older PPC Mac, WineBottler will not run on that machine. It is Intel only, which would be why you're getting the message it's not supported on this architecture.
As bobtomay has mentioned you have a PowerPC. A PowerMac is a PowerPC (PPC) which were used in the past. All newer Macs are Intel Macs. When finding applications to install on your Mac you have to look for either the PowerPC version or something called a universal binary which means it can work on both Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs.

It was an inconvenience for users when Macs changed from PowerPC to Intel but it looks like Apple will stay with Intel so this problem will be eliminated once everyone upgrades to Intel Macs. It's too late now but getting an Intel Mac instead of a PowerPC would have set you up for the future longer. Some software applications are still supporting PowerPC but as you have found out not all software developers are willing to.

OP
F
Reaction score
ok yea see this is what im talking about im really thinking about jut returning this MAC computer as it is to frustrating to deal with.. now all of the sudden i have a power pc and i cannot open Exe files??? Wow.. so with that said yes i think im going back to a windows user..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok yea see this is what im talking about im really thinking about jut returning this MAC computer as it is to frustrating to deal with.. now all of the sudden i have a power pc and i cannot open Exe files??? Wow.. so with that said yes i think im going back to a windows user..

Go back to Windows then.

You didn't educate yourself about your purchase. Not our fault. If you noticed on the Wine Bottler website it says INTEL ONLY. If you don't have an Intel Mac it obviously won't work. And if you bought a Power PC you wasted your money lol. This is why I loved working retail. People wouldn't educate themselves and get the cheapest thing possible. Then they have all sorts of issues and try to throw a hissy fit about it not working.

Oh and .exe files are for PC. .dmg are for Mac. You are downloading a PC only file that won't open on Mac OS X.

Have a good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This person is a troll. Even a 4 year old knows they can't use a Windows .exe file on a Mac. Also if the person even attempted to get the Mac version of the software it would not be an .exe file. The person is either a troll or an ignorant 4 year old or most likely both. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This person is a troll. Even a 4 year old knows they can't use a Windows .exe file on a Mac. Also if the person even attempted to get the Mac version of the software it would not be an .exe file. The person is either a troll or an ignorant 4 year old or most likely both. ;)

If they are there not even a good troll . . . . .

BUT lets just not jump to conclusions just yet folks.... Remember how it was when we switched and ATM we dont know the OP's circumstances .....
Just saying

I like to give the benefit of the doubt 1st

Maybe the OP needs to explain better why they want this on there Mac, so we can come up with a Mac alternative for them :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like to give the benefit of the doubt 1st
I do too which is why I started off helping but with the OP's last post it sounds pretty clear that he/she doesn't want any help. So the OP is either just ranting without wanting help or they're a troll.

The solution is pretty simple. All they need to do is find the PowerPC version of the software and if it doesn't exist I did inform them about the PPC vs Intel issue. Bobtomay and I have already mentioned it but the OP chose to ignore it. So if they choose to ignore the provided solution then my guess is the OP is either a troll or a person just ranting who doesn't really want any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I do too which is why I started off helping but with the OP's last post it sounds pretty clear that he/she doesn't want any help. So the OP is either just ranting without wanting help or they're a troll.

I know where your coming from mate whole heartedly. Was jus a heads ups bc not too long ago this happened in another thread and seemed the OP really was just *clueless* with Macs and they did have a legit problem. Not before they where called troll and they came back unhappy bc they where a Noob and clueless and didnt like the troll name . . . . . Just didnt want to see that happen again ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know where your coming from mate whole heartedly. Was jus a heads ups bc not too long ago this happened in another thread and seemed the OP really was just *clueless* with Macs and they did have a legit problem. Not before they where called troll and they came back unhappy bc they where a Noob and clueless and didnt like the troll name . . . . . Just didnt want to see that happen again
I definitely see your point and I'm completely sorry if the person is not a troll. Solutions and explanations have been presented though so I think it's up to the OP in how they want to precede from here. If he/she wants more help I'm definitely willing to give it as long as they want the help...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I take it you purchased this used? Apple has not sold not shipped Power PC Macs in years now.

Where did you purchase your Mac?

OP
F
Reaction score
i am typing this on my windows XP.. now and hopefully return the mac computer.. i bought it off ebay.. and im not a troll i dont know NOTHING about mac computers and just realized they are dificult because im not use to it..and as yall are saying the computer is very old so why would i even bother with it? this is 2011 i dont want a 4-5 year old computer..but yea with all that said i guess im not a Mac user.. sorry about the confusion?....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am typing this on my windows XP.. now and hopefully return the mac computer.. i bought it off ebay.. and im not a troll i dont know NOTHING about mac computers and just realized they are dificult because im not use to it..and as yall are saying the computer is very old so why would i even bother with it? this is 2011 i dont want a 4-5 year old computer..but yea with all that said i guess im not a Mac user.. sorry about the confusion?....
Sorry about calling you a troll. If you ever want to try out the Mac again then look at getting an Intel Mac. They have been around long enough that you should be able to get a reasonable priced used one. An Intel Mac will solve your problem and you'll be able to run Windows on it if you want.

OP
F
Reaction score
oK wait wait.. im sorry about all the noob questions.. but im just curious about this mac.. stuff.. okay i was on ebay looking at g5 powerMac Pcs'' and noticed many of them are expensive.. but why are they alot of money if you cannot do much with it?.. but anyways.. the only reason i bought a mac was because i heard it is good for making music etc.. do you think this power mac pc will get me where i need to go or No..im just having a very diffcicult time opening many installation cds such as cakewalk.. fuity loops.etc i cant unzip no files i cannot hardly play any vedios..etc but if i can install the cds to to my computer i would be fine i have been searching google on help for power mac pcs but i cant find much..information on what i should download that will help me..so if all fails then i guess i will have to return this power mac pc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.