How do i install and open files??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, there is less and less you can do with a PowerPC Mac but they are in many respects still very capable machines. That said, there is much more you can do with an Intel Mac so if you decide to go back to a Mac, I would suggest an Intel Mac much like EndlessMac has done.

When installing software, you need to make sure that you download Mac versions of the software (if they are available). As has been mentioned, exe files are Windows executables and will not work in OS X. If a program is not available, it is highly likely that there is a suitable replacement that will work on your Mac.

You mention having problems unzipping files - unzip capabilities is built into the OS. To unzip a file, simply double click it. If it is password protected however, you will need a 3rd party program. As for videos, I suggest VLC which will play just about any video you open with it. You may also want to look into Perian and Flip4Mac for Windows Media playback.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can produce music on any machine really. >_>" Providing they meet the requirements for running the software. Mac, Windows whatever as long as you feel comfortable.

I would advise to get an Intel Mac as they are more recent. You might run into issues with using a PPC as the software for them might not be supported any more or you won't be able to use the latest versions of whatever program. IE PPC macs can't use Adobe CS5. Only CS4 and under.

As for the unzipping of files, and media playback. It's probably because you didn't have the correct applications and plugins/codecs installed on your machine to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
99.99% of your issue is that you're trying to use Windows programs on a Mac when you don't even know how to use a Mac.

Why not just take a step back and learn how to use OS X first instead of blaming the Mac?

OP
F
Reaction score
Lmao.. I see I see i shouldn't have bought this Power mac because many people are mac intel users witch is telling me no one uses power pcs any more really so its no good..ok now i understand.. Mac computers are good.. but just the one i bought is kind of outdated.. and hard to get software for it.. Mhmm.. so now that thats cleared up i guess i will be returning this powermac and hopefully find a intel mac for cheap..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Nobody has said that PowerMacs are no good. It would be nice if you read posts properly. PPC Macs are still very capable, you may just have to take a step back and learn OS X before ranting about the Mac having issues and being useless. You may also have to install a few applications differently because it's an older computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz
I am surprised they bought a Mac that old ... I'm surprised anyone buy's a computer that old ... Oh well.

hopefully find a intel mac for cheap..

Mac Mini Intel based ... they're not overly expensive. You need your own monitor and stuff but they're cheaper than iMac's for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.