Record through Garageband with no effects?

Reaction score
Is it possible to have garageband record without having to have any effects? For almost a week now I have tried to get all my new toys from Xmas put together so I can record my guitar. I have a Roland GS-20 guitar Synth with a Roland Cakewalk MIDI to USB adapter and then GarageBand 11. I'm about to pull my hair our just to get it to work much less without all the extra stuff that Garageband does to it. I just want it to record.

I can't find any good documentation on Garageband 11 and what I can find on Garageband 09 hasn't really helped much.

Did I just get a junk setup or what. Should I have gotten a different midi to USB adapter.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated. I am quite frustrated and about ready to take it all back. I know that I am ranting here but I'm truly frustrated and maybe if you guys can work with me and ask questions we can figure out what is going on with my setup.

Jessica

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
I dont have a lot of experience with GarageBand but im more than sure you can record without using the effects on it. I think you'll have to use "real Instrument" as the mode of recording. I don't see why it wouldn't record?

When you open it up and open a new track do you select real instrument or midi?

Each channel is gonna have an option of where you want the input to be selected from. Im not really sure if its gonna be straight to your USB. You might need an audio interface.

Reaction score
Go to Audio MIDI Setup and see if your interface is being recognized by your computer also make sure all your actual connections are right (i.e. midi in to midi out).

C

chas_m

I'm not an expert on this, but I record to GB all the time with no effects. I create a new (basic) track, select the input and choose "no effects."

edit-tab.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.