OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
hi

supplementary question

can it run on a wireless network it has an airport
slot so would it pick up a network if i put in airport card?

regards

S

sonofapplepm

Yes, to all your questions! I think a liitle more ram would be better, mine has 320 and is still a little sluggish. I guess comparing it to my other Macs may be a little unfair! Hope this helps!

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
brendan67 said:
hi

supplementary question

can it run on a wireless network it has an airport
slot so would it pick up a network if i put in airport card?

regards

Yes, but be sure to get the original AirPort card....NOT the AirPort Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I have a 366Mhz Clamshell w/ 128 MB ram, and it runs Panther pretty well. I'm going to up the ram to 512mb soon (I know it can't technically take that, but I've searched around quite a bit, and many people have done it.)

You must get an original airport card, which is about $90. It's easy to install, actually, I pop mine in and out on a daily basis to put it in my Yikes! Powermac G4, until I get a card for that. The downside, is it's only wireless B, so if you want G, you'll need to go USB (I can go firewire, but I think I had the first model that had that).

S

SamG

I run my Airport/G3 iBook on 10.2 with 512Mb and it's fine. It's essentially a music server (via the headphone socket) but gets used for other things without too much of a struggle.

Sam

C

ciaran.mooney

D3v1L80Y said:

The original airport extreme or the sony VAIO's wireless card.
http://homepage.mac.com/macinside/PhotoAlbum36.html

It does work. My iBook runs it at the moment with no ill-effects.

And the clamshell can actually handle more then 512mb as it is whatever chip is in the slot plus whatevers soldered to the board (mines 544mb)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
ciaran.mooney said:
The original airport extreme or the sony VAIO's wireless card.
http://homepage.mac.com/macinside/PhotoAlbum36.html

It does work. My iBook runs it at the moment with no ill-effects.

And the clamshell can actually handle more then 512mb as it is whatever chip is in the slot plus whatevers soldered to the board (mines 544mb)

yeah, just not more than 544 I believe. I don't think it can read all of the 1GB cards. Although why u'd want 1GB in a clamshell, I have no idea.

Interesting idea on the Sony card, cool to see that it works. One slight correction though, I believe the original card was not called "Extreme." It's a small thing, but if the poster does buy one of these cards, I'd hate to see him get the wrong one.

Also, nice French. I speak some although I am far from fluent, it was fun to read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rs2sensen said:
One slight correction though, I believe the original card was not called "Extreme." It's a small thing, but if the poster does buy one of these cards, I'd hate to see him get the wrong one.

Which is exactly why I wrote:

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
Which is exactly why I wrote:

:black:

Yeah, and thats why I quoted ciaran.mooney's post, not urs.
:yinyang: oh well, it's a small thing. I just wanted it to be extra clear, cuz he had said "the original airport extreme" card.

C

ciaran.mooney

Ah Ha! A mistake!

UNDO!

Think thats why you should read what you write before posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol, no problem.

I've been messing with my clamshell a lot today (I recently got it and some cash in a trade for a G3 Powermac). I am really impressed by it. It has the absolute minimum ram for Panther, and it runs quite smoothly. Yeah, there are a few hangups every now and then, and it's not like I'm going to be running photoshop filters or something on it, but I am really happy. It's exactly what I've been looking for, a cheap laptop to travel with so I can leave my 17" Powerbook at home.

I still have to get a battery though, the current one is down to about a 15-30 minute charge.

Also, as my Powermac doesn't have a wireless card, I've found I can pop the airport card from the iBook into the Powermac about as fast as I would a PCMCIA card.

The one downside too it, is this thing does weigh as much as my 17" Powerbook, but that's alright, I'm used to it, and having the handle is nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.