My d-link router disconnects when two ethernet cables plugged in!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post ever, so please bear with me. I don't really know a lot about routers/ network settings/ etc..

I have a D-Link DSL-2642B Router, an iMac and another Intel Mac (OSX 10.6).
The iMac is connected by ethernet to the router. The internet works fine.

The intel Mac is new, but doesn't have wireless built in, so I use a USB wireless adapter (which I had been using successfully on the g5 mac I had before this new intel mac). The USB adapter (Netcomm) works fine in the intel mac, in so far as the Netcomm Utility can see my Wireless Network from the D-Link Router. It connects to the router fine. Good signals/strength etc.

The problem is, when I try to use a browser or email or whatever, the internet connection doesn't work. It might load the first page in a browser, but will instantly stop working after that!

Not only that, but the internet connection seems to get screwed somehow for the whole network. ie. if i go over to the iMac and try to use the internet, it's not working. The only way to rectify this is to power on/off the modem/router.

So I thought this might be the USB adapter causing the problem. So I dragged the Intel Mac over to the router and plugged it straight in using ethernet cable. The imac is also plugged in using ethernet. The intel mac's internet works for a maybe a minute or two and then disconnects and ruins the internet connection for itself and the iMac as well. So I tried unplugging the imac from the router and just have the Intel Mac plugged into the router. Same problem. It connects momentarily, but then ruins the internet connection (not the ethernet network connection, which appears to remain fine if i open up network settings - it's just the internet that doesn't work)

I'm thinking it might be something I'm doing wrong in the network/internet settings on the Intel Mac. I don't know enough about it to really play with anything...
So any help or advice would greatly greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Adrian.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
How old is the Intel Mac? To the best of my knowledge all Intel models have built in Wi-fi.

OP
A
Reaction score
It doesn't have wireless. The Mac was built for me by my Dad - so it's pretty customised...

Do you know anything about what my Network settings should be?
Regardless of whether it has wireless or not (not so concerned about that), but just can't figure out why it screws up the internet connection when it's plugged directly via ethernet cable into the router. ??

Anybody ever have a similar problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.