How to run "os 9 and below" app on Intel 10.6.5

Reaction score
Greetings. I just purchased an app (Myst game). It says "OS 9 or below"

What do I need to do to get this to run on my iMac Intel with OS X 10.6.5 Snow Leopard?

Please use simple layman terms. I'm not a hacker or developer.

Thanks!
David

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Greetings. I just purchased an app (Myst game). It says "OS 9 or below"

What do I need to do to get this to run on my iMac Intel with OS X 10.6.5 Snow Leopard?

Please use simple layman terms. I'm not a hacker or developer.

This is actually a MUCH more difficult project than you think.

- First: Plain & simple...there's no way to get OS 9 to run on your Intel iMac with OS 10.6.5.
- Second: This leaves you with the option of needing to buy an older computer (G5 or older...running OS 10.5 or and Older OS). You can spend as much as $250-$300 for a Powermac G5...or as little as "FREE" if you can find someone trying to "unload" a 8-12 year-old Mac.

You must realize that it's been something like 9-10 years since OS 9 was the "latest & greatest" OS version from Apple...and when OS 10.6 came out in 2009...support for OS 9 went away. So you need a 2nd computer that can run Mac OS 10.5 or older.

Of course you will need OS install disks that also include OS 9...if the 2nd computer you might get does not already have OS 9 installed on it.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Nick, thanks for the clear response. I appreciate you taking the time!

So, looks like I bought the wrong version of Myst, eh? :)

What would you recommend as the best way to get Myst in it's original form to run on my iMac with OS X 10.6.5?

I say "original form" because I've read that some of the re-made newer versions of Myst are kind of buggy and have weird things like the music is always the same volume (no dynamics like the original) and the pace if always on 'run', and the graphics aren't as good.

Should I just get the latest PC version and update my iMac to run XP?

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
David

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Yes. As you've found out, the latest version of Myst for the Mac will not run on anything later than OS9. Use Boot Camp to install a copy of XP and you can then purchase the latest Myst for Windows.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What would you recommend as the best way to get Myst in it's original form to run on my iMac with OS X 10.6.5?

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
David

You could go the "bootcamp" route and install Windows XP on your Mac as "Chscag" recommended.

Or you could find an older Mac. You could use a whole slew of different Mac models that you could find for $50 or less, many for $25 or less, or maybe even free. For example...you might be able to find an old 400mhz G3 iMac for $25 or less (maybe free)...and it might even already have OS 9 installed on it. In this case...all you would have to do is pop your Myst disk in, install it, and start playing.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.