My MBP won't turn on?

Reaction score
I found out that I might possibly have a corrupt file on my MBP.

I tried to fix it using disc utility, and that didn't work.[I kept getting an error message saying it couldn't fix it or whatever]

So I thought I had to do a clean restart. Turns out all I had to do was load the OSX disc in and run disc utility from there. I got the same error message as always.

I had trouble finding out where to find disc utility and had to keep shutting my computer off and then reloading it and searching google to see if I could find anything useful.

After I ran disc utility, I shut off my compter and turned it back on. The white screen came up and it made the noise it always does.

It sat at that screen for maybe 5 minutes and then shut off. It keeps doing that whenever I turn it on.

I tried the command alt rp[I think that's what it is] and it didn't help.

I also tried to load it in the single user mode thing and nothing happened[a black screen came on and a bunch of words showed up and it just sat at that screen]

What can I do to fix it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can not boot your MBP with the install DVD, you more than likely have a serious hardware problem.

Try this first: Open up your MBP and remove the hard drive from its connector. Close the machine back up and try again to boot from the install DVD. Let us know what happens. Post back to this same thread.

OP
F
Reaction score
If you can not boot your MBP with the install DVD, you more than likely have a serious hardware problem.

Try this first: Open up your MBP and remove the hard drive from its connector. Close the machine back up and try again to boot from the install DVD. Let us know what happens. Post back to this same thread.

All I need to do it take the screws out of the bottom of my Mac right? Then I can take remove the hard drive?

I haven't tried to boot it up with the install DVD. I don't know how to do that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All I need to do it take the screws out of the bottom of my Mac right? Then I can take remove the hard drive?

I haven't tried to boot it up with the install DVD. I don't know how to do that.

Let's not remove the hard drive until you try to boot the machine with your original install DVD. Reboot the machine with the install DVD and hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. Keep holding it until you see the spinning circle beneath the Apple. Then choose the DVD to boot from.

Once it's booted from the DVD, do not allow it to proceed with the install. Instead, click on the top menu "Utilities", "Disk Utility". Then select your hard drive on the left side. Now click on the First Aid tab on the right and select Verify and Repair. Post back results.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Did a quick internet search and then cut and paste to find these directions (saves a lot of typing). The link where I got the info is: http://macs.about.com/od/leopard105/ss/installleopard2_2.htm

"The alternative way to start the install process is to boot directly from the DVD, without first mounting the installation DVD on your desktop. Use this method when you’re having problems and you’re unable to boot to your desktop.

1. Start your Mac while holding down the option key.

2. Your Mac will display the Startup Manager, and a list of icons that represent all of the bootable devices available to your Mac.

3. Insert the Leopard Install DVD into a slot-loading DVD drive, or press the eject key and insert the Leopard Install DVD into a tray-loading drive.

4. After a few moments, the Install DVD should show as one of the bootable icons. If it doesn’t, click the reload icon (a circular arrow) that’s available on some Mac models, or restart your Mac.

5. Once the Leopard Install DVD icon displays, click it to restart your Mac and boot from the installation DVD."

EDIT
After I posted I saw chscag was still helping you so I will stay out of it for now.

OP
F
Reaction score
Let's not remove the hard drive until you try to boot the machine with your original install DVD. Reboot the machine with the install DVD and hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. Keep holding it until you see the spinning circle beneath the Apple. Then choose the DVD to boot from.

Once it's booted from the DVD, do not allow it to proceed with the install. Instead, click on the top menu "Utilities", "Disk Utility". Then select your hard drive on the left side. Now click on the First Aid tab on the right and select Verify and Repair. Post back results.

I did it before the screen turned white and I got:

Invalid node structure

Volume check failed

Error: filesystem verify or repair failed

Now it's not showing my disk and if I click on the main disk it won't let me click repair.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. That pretty well tells us that the hard drive may be toast. Go ahead and remove it as I suggested and then try booting with your DVD once more. Let's see what happens. And yes, remove the screws from the bottom panel and have a torx driver handy to pull the hard drive.

Be careful removing the hard drive. Be gentle with it as we don't want to break any connectors or yank on the drive cable.

(You need to remove it anyway so you can swap it out with a new one.)

OP
F
Reaction score
OK. That pretty well tells us that the hard drive may be toast. Go ahead and remove it as I suggested and then try booting with your DVD once more. Let's see what happens. And yes, remove the screws from the bottom panel and have a torx driver handy to pull the hard drive.

Be careful removing the hard drive. Be gentle with it as we don't want to break any connectors or yank on the drive cable.

(You need to remove it anyway so you can swap it out with a new one.)

I was able to actually do the disc thing, but it told me the same thing it's always been saying.

Should I still go through with removing the disc drive?

If I need a new one would it be covered under warrenty? I have a protection plan on my MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your machine is still under Apple's warranty or Apple care, do nothing! Make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have them look at it for you. They'll swap out the hard drive with a new one.

Let us know.

OP
F
Reaction score
If your machine is still under Apple's warranty or Apple care, do nothing! Make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have them look at it for you. They'll swap out the hard drive with a new one.

Let us know.

Ok I'll do that instead.

Thanks for all your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.