• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Harry Potter Book

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
Well i am in japan right now but i managed to find a copy in english. I am a big fan of the series and they are about the only books i read. Long story short, it is about 4:00 in the morning hear and i just finished the book. While i think it is the best in the series thus far i am really dissapointed (and if anyone has read it you know why).

So does anyone else here read the HP Books??

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You lose me for a minute there when you said Hp (i.e. Hewlett-Packard). Then I realized you meant Harry Potter. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, I've read it...

Very good, but not as gripping as the others...
ending was disappointing as there's no twist in the tale ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
It was a rather straight-forward ending.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
the ending kinda sucked, and the whole HP and ginny thing...

C

Cloudane

Twas pretty good. The ending was like a twist of the whole series IMO, but I'd been suckered into believing that the person in question was actually a good person as I guess most people were meant to believe.

It was nice to have the sensible HP back in place of the stroppy little tantrum-throwing **** from book 5, so all's well :)

She's got a *lot* to do for no.7. Looking forward to a slightly more cheerful ending if it happens!

T

Tel

I read the Lord of the Rings series when I was a little kid, not I'm an adult, trying to read Harry Potter really is a pain for me, I really can't get into them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it just me or is this HP book kinda raunchy? Well, maybe not exactly raunchy but it was kinda spicier than usual...

I never thought I would see the word "ejaculate" in a Harry Potter book.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
Tel said:
I read the Lord of the Rings series when I was a little kid, not I'm an adult, trying to read Harry Potter really is a pain for me, I really can't get into them

Yeah i know what you meen. My grandma had a hard time reading the Harry Potter book but once she got past the first one she started to read them all. I was actually going to start reading the Lord of the Rings books while in Japan, but i ended up putting them on my iPod mini. I am about halfway done with the trilogy.

So which one was the best on of the series for you guys??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
im not really into anything like that.

C

Cloudane

edgefusion said:
Is it just me or is this HP book kinda raunchy? Well, maybe not exactly raunchy but it was kinda spicier than usual...

I never thought I would see the word "ejaculate" in a Harry Potter book.

:spook: I forgot about that. Made me double-take as well..

I think she was using the *dictionary* definition ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
whats a harry potter?

M

macguy.nielsen

I personally loved the book and the whole series for that matter. The ending of this book is well done I thought. J.K. Rowling spends a lot of time being VERY convincing about what people are good and bad while also giving a fleeting feeling that something is just a little wrong. Then at the end of this book all **** breaks loose and with a rather cliff hanger style ending makes you wanting to read the next book as soon as it comes out! Although I am a little disappointed that my favorite character is now gone :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
why do we have to read harry potter when we can watch it in movies.hehe.
i just don't like reading books. =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chouk said:

Because Ron Weasley is ugly and has an annoying voice. He must be destroyed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
chouk said:

Because the books tell you much more than the movies, and train your brain a lot more than watching movies... :cool:

C

Cloudane

You miss out on 90% of the story if you watch the movie. They cut so much out and you don't get an insight into each character's thoughts or feelings...

They should be watched *after* reading each book.

As for Ron Weasley, I just hope they give him a bit more of a character in the movies than last time I saw it, where his only lines were "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!" and his only facial expressions were those of fear and shock...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
i guess if i read the book, i'll miss 90% coz i'll be sleeping while reading. haha.
yeah. but it's true that the smart people are those who read.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got home from Japan today and found ou that there are different versions of the book. I read the Great britain version so now i am going to read the version that my parents bought here in the US. There is about 30 more pages in the US version. I really don"t expect it to be all that different, but i"ll find out.

Does anyone think that snape is a good guy still?? Even after he killed Dumbledore!

Me and my parents do but my sister thinks he is bad. What are your thoughts??

Oh. And reading the books is so much better. The movies don't do the books justice. And they are actually pretty easy to read. I don't usually read all that fast, but this book i read in about 14-15 hours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.