MBP won't sleep, and is VERY slow to boot up.

Reaction score
**I originally posted this in Hardware, but thought this might be the more appropriate location. Sorry for the dual post.**

Hello all.

Recently, I acquired my first ever Mac, and now it's time for my first ever tech inquiry. In order to get my toes wet, I got a used MBP from a re-seller on ebay. Dangerous, I know, but the details seemed good, and I didn't want to sink all of that money into a platform I wasn't sure I'd be sticking with. I am now the proud-ish owner of a 2009 MBP, 15", 2.44 Ghz, 4GB RAM with a 500GB harddrive. It functions powerfully with no hiccups, except for these 2 issues:

1) When it starts up, it takes 7 or 8 minutes before my desktop is active. The pointer responds to my movement on the track pad, but everything else (icons, etc...) on the screen is frozen. None of my shortcut keys are usable during this period either (screen brightness, volume, etc...). After the "freeze" period is over, everthing returns to normal. My fiance has a MBP as well, so I know this process should take significantly less time. Turning this annoyance of a problem into a big problem for me is the fact that my computer doesn't sleep, and I either have to leave it on or shut it down completely when not using it.

2) Whether closing the lid or trying to put it to sleep any other way, my system does not sleep. Instead, the display goes black and can not be re-activated unless I force a restart. The system sounds like it's still running, and the light on the latch release does not pulse as it should, rather, it is constantly lit. I've tried checking my power settings to no avail. I can still shut it down normally, however. If I fix nothing else, I'd love to have this problem taken care of, because what's the point of a laptop if it can't be moved around or quickly accessed?

These are my problems, and i'm hoping someone out there with more experience and knowledge can help point me in the right direction. I thought I'd try the forums before facing the prospect of paying to have a Mac Genius look at it. I have a moderate level of technical aptitude to try and work through whatever suggestions you've got for me.

Thanks for any assistance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.