Reminders

Reaction score
Is there some way that I can have the computer remind me of tasks I need to do? For example, can the computer be set to send me a message on say the first of every month that it is time to clear Safari or some other maintenance task?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
iCal and/or Stickies.

You could also use Automator to create work flows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I'd go with iCal, you can even specify a script to be executed or just a plain alarm, email, whatever .. Events in iCal can be set to repeat at certain intervals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yep, iCal reminds me when I need to set the trash out. But I still have to do it.

I've got all sorts of stuff in there; when to pay bills, birthdays and anniversaries. . . you name it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Yep, iCal reminds me when I need to set the trash out. But I still have to do it.
Your Mac doesn't take out the trash for you? What about walking the dog? All valid future upgrades :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I also recommend iCal. It's not just a useful calendar for scheduling appointments but you can use if for simple reminders too. If you use the alarm feature iCal will have a pop up alert on your computer for when you set the alarm even if iCal is not opened.

If you have an iOS device like an iPhone then it will sync to your iPhone's calendar so that the alarm will also work when you are not at your computer.

Your Mac doesn't take out the trash for you? What about walking the dog? All valid future upgrades :-D
I heard those features will be in the next Mac OS upgrade. It will also send you a message that the chore has been done. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I heard those features will be in the next Mac OS upgrade. It will also send you a message that the chore has been done. ;)

Cool. Will it also check the oil level in my car? (I do that myself, once a month - after iCal reminds me.)

Ila

Reaction score
I do not have the option of selecting a repeat function for the reminders on my Mac. Is there something I may not have selected to make this option available? I have it on reminders on my iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you need to use Events, not Reminders. As I understand Reminders (I use Events exclusively) they are intended as a "check off" list. You can do exactly what you are asking with Events.

Ila

Reaction score
No, I am using Reminders as a todo list. I want it to stay on the list until I actualy do it. I am a procrastinator, if I used events I would be reminded only once. I might or might not do it on that day, therefore I need it to be in the list until I finish the task.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I am using Reminders as a todo list. I want it to stay on the list until I actualy do it. I am a procrastinator, if I used events I would be reminded only once.

Not if you set up Events to be persistent. They will come up at the time you designate every day until you disable it. By the way, Reminders used to be called To Do List. Events are much more customizeable than Reminders.

If you tend to procrastinate, the best solution... hang on a minute. ;)

Ila

Reaction score
Weelllll, reluctantly I may have to look into Events if Reminders aren't more like they are on my iPad when the new iOS comes out this summer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.