Sometimes slow sends with Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
Not sure why but once in a while Apple's Mail email client takes the longest time to send an email (no attachments).

Yesterday it asked for my password. I entered it. And the send was immediate. Then later it took maybe 5 minutes or more. Right now I'm waiting for a send to be completed.

But when I use my browser it's always fast. Almost no wait time at all. Sometimes no wait.

Why?? Ideas??

I have a 1 mbps upload speed. When I had half that the speed was also sometimes very fast sometimes slow as....Corrupt files? Settings?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not the mail program. It's has more to do with your mail provider than anything else. I use GMail as my provider and have the same problem. Some days the mail uploads quickly, and other times it may take several minutes to get going (and I have a very fast upload connection).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not in my case. As I said. When I access this email account via Safari the speed is almost always immediate. Virtually no wait. It's just when I use Mail it sometimes takes the longest time to send. Last time I sent today it was immediate. For some reason I have a much better success or consistency rate using a browser.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Accessing mail in Safari is using web mail. Of course it should be instant, it is for me too. However, when sending mail using the Apple mail program, contact has to made first with your mail provider. The mail has to be uploaded and then sent out by your provider. Extra steps. As I said, sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's not.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, so far I have to say that using Thunderbird and my GMAIL account, the send times have been consistently fast.

Also, when using web mail...I'm still accessing my internet provider's server. I'm not talking about when I use web mail services like GMAIL or Yahoo.

Even when I was using my Windows laptop and using the MS mail client I don't recall any lag time when sending. Could be wrong. But I doubt it.

Any how guess there's nothing I can do. Maybe it is my internet provider. Just have to ride out the storm of lag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.