A Switchers guide to recommended free Apps to download to your new Mac

Reaction score
well mrplow,

thats you and chas both that have said the same thing so perhaphs you're both right and maybe i should get the mods to delete the thread.

was just trying to be helpful :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Already been done .......

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/224636-switchers-guide-recommended-free-apps-download-your-new-mac.html

Sadly my antipodean mate is no longer around but he tried :)

And here is mine :

Adium ~ Chat Client
Growl Notifications
SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner ~ Both make bootable copies of your HD
HandBrake ~ Video Converting
Burn ~ As it says A Burning App
Transmission ~ p2p client
Skitch ~ Screen capture and more
VLC ~ Video player that plays most codecs and does a lot more
Perian and Flip4Mac Makes watching certain codecs easier ... This is Essential IMHO
Audacity ~ Play with Music App
CandyBar ~ Mods all your icons, and dock
MainMenu or Oynx ~ Does the same as Disk utility only more thorough
Quicksilver ~ Works like Spotlight but way way better and does so much more
StuffitExpander ~ Opens Zip and rar files and more
Lil Snitch ~ Firewall type App that looks at your incoming and outgoing traffic
and last but certainly not least .....
AppTrap ~ Once installed it sits in System Preferences and deletes all associated files of anything that you put in the trash ...

M

MacInWin

Even though I own 1Password and like it, it should be noted that it duplicates most of the functionality of the Keychain.

My advice -- as I stated in my essay -- is not to lard up your new machine with apps until you have thoroughly explored what the machine comes with and THEN determined what your needs are that aren't already met. Saves a lot of time and money.
For me, the biggest feature that 1Password has added to the Keychain functionality is the ability to sync to my iPad and iPhone, as well as between Macs. I use it just for convenience, but my wife uses it to be able to access her business accounts from both her desktop (MacMini) and her laptop (MBP 13"). That function has let us improve our passwords by using generated passwords from 1Password and not having to remember them. One site estimated our generated password would take 37,000 years to crack! (16 characters, upper/lower case, numbers and symbols included)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
For me, the biggest feature that 1Password has added to the Keychain functionality is the ability to sync to my iPad and iPhone, as well as between Macs.

Bingo.

I would also add Windows computers since I have to use one at work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
mods please delete thread

Merging this thread with previous similar thread is probably a better idea.:) Sometimes newer applications are released that may not have been discussed, included, or available before...thus continuing the discussion keeps things up to date as things change.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.