Problems Drawing With My Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 i7, 8GB, OS X 10.6.8
I have a $400, 4 year old, Compaq Presario laptop, with a basic mouse, at work that I can easily draw simple things using the mouse and either MS Paint or Sumo Paint.
However, when I come home to my 24" iMac using my $70 gaming mouse, I can't draw anything in Sumo Paint, and it's even much worse when using Photoshop CS4. The problem being that's it responds very jerky, and I can't draw the lines I want.

The drawings are nothing fancy, mostly for fun, but what the **** is going on.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Slow down the mouse in preferences..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOME: imac 24", 2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ram, 640GB HD.WORK:G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 8GB ram
I had the same problem with a Razer wireless bluetooth mouse, very jerky. Switched to a cheap dell optical mouse and everything is smoother.

Reaction score
I also have to ask if you downloaded the Mac drivers and installed them. Sure it will run on default but you will get better results and more control with the proper drivers installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Check your table surface or mouse pad, if the mouse is very sensitive (and gaming mice are very sensitive) it might be picking up more than you want. Hence why a generic mouse might appear to be a better solution, since it simple isn't as sensitive.

Reaction score
For sensitive photo editing I use the Wacom Intuos4 medium wireless pen tablet. I do a lot of photo editing in Photoshop CS5 and this pen tablet allows me to adjust for stylus pressure and brush width.

Check it out of your standard mouse isn't getting the job done for you.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 i7, 8GB, OS X 10.6.8
Changed to the Stock Apple Mouse, nothing changed. I use USB Overdrive to control my mouse, changed some sensitivity settings, and while there was a small difference, still unusable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.