thinking of getting an ipad

Reaction score
Ever since I saw my brother-in-law's caribbean cruise photos that he was showing my mom on on Christmas Day after we ate, I grew impressed with the ipad - I mean, I edit photos in photoshop on my MBP, and I'd like to take them along with me to show my local friends for when I go visiting them. Plus, Christmas Day night time, I was wondering if I could put the comic books that I also create on my MBP using Comic Life Deluxe (after saving them in *.pdf format) on an ipad to show my friends, (found that it was possible and I d/l a piece of software that converts .pdf files to .epub), and I was even more impressed with the ipad. But I don't know at this point exactly how many photos I'm going to put on my ipad nor how many .pdf/.epub comic book files I'm going to want to put on that new ipad that I'm going to start saving up for after the New Year - and all these other apps that are pre-installed on the ipad, I'm thinking since I won't use these, I'll want to delete them, so what size ipad should I get?

But anyway, to try to answer my own question as to how many photos, comics (roughly about 30 pgs at least) I'd like to put on my new ipad is - a whole bunch of them - a lot.

New-ipad-user-to-be

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have the 64Gb 3G and with hundreds of songs and photos, 7 full length movies ripped from DvD, dozens of APPs and a couple of dozen comic books I am about 1/3 full. Plus I forgot to mention several hundred eBooks.

Bottom-line: the 16Gb may be big enough, the 32Gb almost certainly. And BTW iBooks will handle PDF comics as will Goodreader.

Enjoy your new iPad.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Bottom-line: the 16Gb may be big enough, the 32Gb almost certainly.

I'm toying with the idea of getting the basic 32 GB ipad sometime in January 2011, since I just talked to one of my local friends (she and her husband own a imac, she is tech-savvy) and she told me [Apple] is talking about making the ipad smaller, well I don't want a smaller ipad (screen size-wise), I like the 9.7 inch by 11 inch screen so I can adequately display each page of my comic books, so this means I might have to get my ipad before February in case our local Best Buy runs out of their current stock of ipads.

What do you guys say about this?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not likely to see a smaller iPad anytime soon.

BTW: Apple doesn't tend to share much of what they are planning--any talking going on is generally by people who don't know a whole lot more than we do.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For another opinion see the post today in Apple Rumors Forum by the8thark titled: 'Report: Apple ordering 65 million iPad screens for 2011'

I would link to the post, but I don't know how

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
For another opinion see the post today in Apple Rumors Forum by the8thark titled: 'Report: Apple ordering 65 million iPad screens for 2011'

I would link to the post, but I don't know how

I found the post, I think you make a link like this - go to the post editor, click on the blue/green planet (Earth) that has the chain link in front of it, and a dialogue box will pop up. Delete the "http" inside and copy and past the website address (from the top of the Safari page or your internet browser/search engine page) into this dialogue box, click "OK".

After this you will see a link to whatever you wanted to link to.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/224604-report-apple-ordering-65-million-ipad-screens-2011-a.html

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Will try that later. :)

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Hello there, I'm back. Just found out that that 16 GB vs 32 GB in these ipads at Best Buy refer to memory (RAM)? rather than hard drive. Is this true? If that's the case, then the way I'm thinking of it is as kind of being like a HD memory card for the latest digital SLR cameras - now that I'm thinking about storing some of these pictures (after editing) from my D3000 DSLR camera that I bought a few months ago on this ipad, I'm thinking of sticking with the 32 GB model.

Am wondering - how many HD digital photos can you store on a 32 GB ipad?

Bottom line - should I get the 32 GB ipad (at local Best Buy store) sometime in January 2011? I have $465 saved and am putting away an additional $200 the first week of January.

How much is Penna. tax on it + $599.99 = total price?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know how much your tax rate is, ours is 8.5%. As far as how many pictures your iPad will hold, a lot. I shoot in Raw with my Nikon D5000 so the files on the computer are rather large, but iTunes resizes photos to synch with iPad so they are sized appropriately to the screen resolution.
I currently have 420 photos on my iPad (a very small fraction of my Aperture library) and that takes up only a Gb or 2 at most (iTunes tells you during synch how much space is used, but I never bother to look--it's a small part of what I have on my iPad).

As far as which to get, if money is very tight go small, otherwise I would go for the 32 Gb model. You can't add memory after the fact.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Razormac, our tax in Penna. is 7 %. So how much $$ would this 32 GB ipad cost me in the end provided I have $665 put away come January 8th?

EDIT - tried calculating it on my mac's built-in calculator, and I believe it's $42 in tax. So I figured it'll come to $641.99. Is this correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Your total cost for the iPad 32 gb WiFi will be around $640.93. You will have just enough to purchase your iPad if I did the math correctly ;D. If I am wrong some one correct me please.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Thanks, Roflitskyle and
As far as which to get, if money is very tight go small, otherwise I would go for the 32 Gb model. You can't add memory after the fact.
thanks for the warning, Razormac - I'll spring for the 32 GB, then.

It seems as if I have expandable money - it stretches. That's alien $$$, not Earth-$$$.

Reaction score
i have the 32 gb wifi, and i am a photographer. i use it primarily as a digital portfolio. ihave loads of high res photos on it and i think total it is like 4 gb of space. i p robably have over 100 print sized images. it is more than enouh for me needs!

C

chas_m

To put this another way: my entire iPhoto library from 2005 to present take up a little over 55GB. Most of the photos are large JPEG files, but there is a fair amount of RAW and AVI/MOV movies in there as well.

A 32GB iPad could hold, by my estimate, at least half of the 9,000 photos and 226 (mostly 8-10 minute) videos I have in this library.

In short, I don't think any concerns about iPad storage space are especially valid. Even the smallest (16GB) model can clearly hold thousands of photos. Your audience will never have the time to go through all the photos on a 16GB, let alone a 32GB if it is primarily used for storing photos.

PS. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that Apple is going to make an iPad smaller than the current 9.7" screen. Not only have they gone WAY out of their way to explain why smaller screens suck, not only have they placed ginormous orders for 9.7" screens for next year, but confirmed case designs for the iPad II clearly show no reduction in the product's overall size.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas_m,
I agree with what you are saying, that 16Gb would more than suffice for photos alone. My reason for suggesting the 32Gb model is I currently have 30Gb used on my 64Gb 3G (checked it yesterday).

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
All input have been beamed onto the ship and stored in the ship's computer - thanks, all!

Also, I'd like to put my .pdf comic books on the ipad, the hard copy printouts (each page) measure 8.5 inches wide by 11 inches long. Will I be able to display my comics page by page, one whole page at a time, adequately on an ipad with no difficulty on the part of my audience's reading the words in the speech balloons?

My .pdf comics run about 30 pages on the average.

When is the ipad 2 coming on the market? In what ways will it be an improvement over the first ipad? How much will it cost? Should I spring for the first ipad, or should I wait until the ipad 2 comes out?

Also I read somewhere on the internet about 6 months ago or so while doing research on ipads as I was thinking of getting one then, and the article (don't know where the article came from, never bothered to check) said that ipad batteries only have a limited number of recharges, after that they go dead and then you'll have to replace the whole ipad by turning in your dead ipad and you'll have to buy a refurbished ipad. Is this true?

EDIT 2 - Talked with Mom about me getting an ipad, getting the 16 GB model, and Mom told me that she doesn't think I'd be happy with the 16 gig model, to which I told her they come in 16 gig, 32 gig, and 64 gig sizes for $500, $600, and $830 respectively, and that I agreed with her that I may not be happy with the 16 gig model, and told her that I'd decided on getting the 32 gig model. Mom told me that she'd rather me get that ipad instead of spending my money on an old computer (to completely overhaul with $600 worth of components from NewEgg ot TigerDirect.).

So I still have a couple of questions that I was waiting for you guys to answer for me. It seems like people are ignoring me lately - why aren't anyone replying to my questions anymore?

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Hello there, It's Memorial Day and I'm back with this ipad business. I'm reviving this thread now - I just talked to Mom (via a nicely written note on computer paper) about wanting an ipad [for my birthday] and told her they're going for around $350 on Amazon.com (for used - like new) and she asked "how many gigs?" I said "16" and she said to "save your money, you pay half and I'll pay half."

But I have a question about the battery - does it really go dead after so many recharges?

My brother in law's ipad (saw him using it at the picnic today) and my nephew's ipad (which he uses every single day) are still going strong. My brother in law had his ipad (at least I first saw it) since Labor Day 2010, and I don't know when my nephew got his ipad, but I think probably when they first came out.

But on the other hand, if a 64 GB ipad is going for under $500 and Mom's paying for half, I believe I'll spring for the 64 gig to get a better deal for slightly over $100 more - what do you guys say?

Happy Memorial Day folks!

C

chas_m

a. I'd really recommend the 32GB. You will thank me later.

b. Re: battery -- all batteries wear out EVENTUALLY, but no, your battery will not go dead during the time you own (or use, anyway) the iPad 2, no matter how often you recharge it.

c. I'm wary of used iPads, but if you're sure it's a legit deal (most of them aren't!), then yes, getting 4x storage for $100 more is a good deal. Again: a 64GB iPad for $500 should be setting off ALARM BELLS, so go into this with your eyes WIDE open.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
a. I'd really recommend the 32GB. You will thank me later.

Ok, I'll go with the 32 GB then.

Found some here on amazon for around $450 for New - How's this kind of a deal? Amazon.com: Apple iPad (first generation) MB292LL/A Tablet (32GB, Wifi): Computer & Accessories

b. Re: battery -- all batteries wear out EVENTUALLY, but no, your battery will not go dead during the time you own (or use, anyway) the iPad 2, no matter how often you recharge it.

I didn't want the ipad 2, I was taking about the ipad 1. What I was really asking about was the battery in the ipad 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.