Help Needed

T

tom hansen

I'm new here and not the most adept, but not totally stupid either. Am feeling very stupid at the moment. Need help.

Safari has disappeared. It is nowhere to be found (by me, at least). I get this message from Applications: "The alias cannot be opened because the orginal item cannot be found."

I'm running OSX 10.2 Power PC G4 700MHz 384MB

I've downloaded a later version of Safari. Two, as a matter of fact. Update 1.0.3 and 1.2. Both of these require a later version of OSX than I have.

When I try to download a later version of OSX on Software Update it quits unexpectedly about half way through the download every time.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

I'd like to have it back. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Use another browser (firefox, or *shudder* Internet Explorer) to download the 10.2.8 combo updater directly from the apple support website.
Install it and then try installing Safari again.

OP
T

tom hansen

Thanks for your help. I got partway there. I downloaded OSX 10.2.8 and attempted to install. I rec'd the following mssg:

Installing this software requires 166 MB of disk space.

!You cannot install this software on this disk. This volume doe not meet the requirements for this update.

So, I downloaded OSX 10.2.6 and successfully installed.

When I attempted to download and install Safari, I was told it required OSX 10.3.

Question: Is there anywhere I can dowload an old version of Safari that will work with 10.2.6? I can't find one.

Thanks again,

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
tom hansen said:
Installing this software requires 166 MB of disk space.

How big is you Hard Drive, and are you actually using that much space?? If so, you need to clear stuff out NOW. Your Mac will not run correctly with that little space left. If you clear stuff out, then just do the update that relates to the quote above. If not, it should be on your OS X install disk. Put CD #1 in, and you will restart the mac and boot to the installer on the disk. Then, around step 2 or 3, at the bottom corner is an option that will let you choose exactly what you want to install. Just have the "bundled software" selected. Or, Safari if that is an option.

OP
T

tom hansen

Thanks for your help. I apologize for the late reply I have been away.

40 gig hard drive. Dumb question from me. How do I find how much free space is left?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Click on your hard drive. Then go

file-
get info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
macEfan said:
Click on your hard drive. Then go

file-
get info

Or Ctrl-click (or right-click) on your harddisk, folder, file (whatever you need to know the size of) and go to Get Info in the now appearing context menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.