Latency issues GarageBand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
I did a search but couldnt find anything with my specific problem.

Im using GarageBand 09, with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. When I plug in my guitar directly and use one of the amp models there is no latency (noticeable at least)
I've recorded a guitar track with the m audio unit and my vocals with a Blue Bird condenser mic. Tried recording the guitar by itself and guitar and vocals simultaneously and it works fine. but....

The problem is when I try to use my MBP keyboard to play "drums" I get a good deal of latency. Why is that? Is the onboard sound card not good enough for that? Should I get a dedicated MIDI/keystation to play those Synth instruments?

Reaction score
Latency in Garageband

I did a search but couldnt find anything with my specific problem.

Im using GarageBand 09, with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. When I plug in my guitar directly and use one of the amp models there is no latency (noticeable at least)
I've recorded a guitar track with the m audio unit and my vocals with a Blue Bird condenser mic. Tried recording the guitar by itself and guitar and vocals simultaneously and it works fine. but....

The problem is when I try to use my MBP keyboard to play "drums" I get a good deal of latency. Why is that? Is the onboard sound card not good enough for that? Should I get a dedicated MIDI/keystation to play those Synth instruments?

Hi, the problem is sampling rate. you probably encounter the problem after a pause record restart mode. Go to preferences under Garageband pane, select Audio/Midi. Try selecting maximum number simultaneous tracks and reselecting Minimum delay. if you using all three inputs, the maximum number is the one to stick with but you may have to do this a number of times. Its all down to power use within garageband as its ram heavy.

Happy session

nikmixer

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
I already have it set for minimum delay. I dont even have any inputs in use. I already recorded 2 tracks so I turned off the inputs. The only thing working on the interface is the outputs to monitor what im recording.
Im using the actual MacBook Pro keyboard to play the synth drums. So thats why im confused, and wondering if the reason for the latency/delay is due to using the computer itself to play those instruments. If I use a MIDI controller/keyboard, should the delay go away or is it that its having trouble playing back 2 tracks while recording 1 synth track?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.