Don't make me go Dell!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (aluminum unibody) 10.5, iMac 27", TimeCapsule, iPhone4, iPod nano
HELP! I finally talked my hubbie into going Mac a few months ago and every time we have trouble he threatens me with a Dell!

Have a 4 month old 27" iMac. Frequently won't start up when I click the mouse. Sometimes won't even start when I push and hold the power button on the back. Seems to be no pattern to this. Have changed mouse batteries twice and mouse seems fine otherwise.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Start up when clicking the mouse or wake-up from clicking the mouse?

- Simon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The machine should never start up with the click on a mouse. When it's powered off, you'll need to power it on with the button. If you put it to sleep when you're done, then it should wake with the mouse. Of course, bluetooth devices go to sleep themselves, so it might take a bit of moving it before it will actually register the click to wake the machine again.

If it really bothers you, go with a wired mouse and be done with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 11;2, OS X 10.6.4, 3.06 Ghz Dual Core Processor, 4 GB RAM
Yeah I wouldn't be pressing the power button so much, move the mouse and click, then just wait a little while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think the poster means waking from sleep and not booting.

If so, do you have an external drive or any other attachments connected to your iMac which may interfere with rousing from sleep?

And threaten to leave him if he gets a Dell. That will discern where toe REAL power lays in your relationship!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think harry is right but the way the OP worded it sounded like they meant power on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
And threaten to leave him if he gets a Dell. That will discern where toe REAL power lays in your relationship!

A bit harsh but I think this is definitely the right path to go down ;P

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Out of habit, I use the spacebar to wake up my iMac, rather than the mouse. If you have components connected to your iMac, the system will go out and do a check on those components, which will lengthen the time it takes for your computer to fully come online. Also, make sure the power cord is fully connected and secured... I had an issue with my system not wanting to come on at one time, and was able to trace it back to the power cord itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A bit harsh but I think this is definitely the right path to go down ;P

A bit harsh buzzard? He is threatening the poor girl with a Dell for goodness sake!

Not harsh enough lol

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (aluminum unibody) 10.5, iMac 27", TimeCapsule, iPhone4, iPod nano
Thanks for all the help!

Turns out my OCD 9 year old keeps plugging in the external hard drive and it's slowing down the wake from sleep. Had a little talk about how the back uo is not supposed to be connected all the time.

So, for now, I am safe from Dell ****. And Buzzard, I'm with HarryB on this one. NOT too harsh!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, for now, I am safe from Dell ****. And Buzzard, I'm with HarryB on this one. NOT too harsh!:D

Fair enough lol ;P keep us updated with anymore problems but more importantly the relationship status lmao

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.