Ipod Touch 4G - Boot loop white screen CANT RESTORE!

Reaction score
hey guys,
i have an ipod touch 4G jailbroken to 4.2.1 tethered.

Basically the ipod, i dont know why but it suddenly restarted itself after i was installing an app.
Upon the reboot, i noticed that instead of just showing the apple symbol (because its tethered) it would boot for 10 seconds and then the screen would go white for a second and then go blank and this would loop continuously!

I didnt think anything of it and decided to untether it with redsn0w, it worked but my ipod would still loop in a cycle....

so i tried to restore the ipod in DFU mode, this failed aswell. Itunes will start to restore and then the ipod would show a white screen again through the installation and BAM error 9, which i know is when the ipod is disrupted during the restore.

tried it in recovery mode didnt work, tried on a mac didnt work.. im running out of ideas!

hopefully you guys can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try this... turn off the ipod, then hold the home button only while you plug the usb cable into it, keep the home button held down until itunes recognises it.

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
isnt this just the same as dfu mode? or recovery mode? i cant get either to restore, in itunes,

sometimes i can get it to so a different message, instead of 9 it wil show 1611?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
have you tried blackra1n to kick it out of loop? It will make the ipsw unusable but may then be able to restore.

- Simon

Reaction score
Same Issue...

I'm having the same issue, except mine started when I edited the /etc/hosts file on the ipod (4g, running tethered JB'd 4.2.1) and did a tethered rebbot using redsn0w, which failed and resulted in a loop of the apple logo boot screen, which stays for a few minutes, and then a white screen, that flashes and triggers a reboot.

I tried restoring with iTunes on my mac, and it gets stuck at the preparing ipod for restore stage, only to give me error 1601 (which is supposed to mean corrupted itunes, according to what I've found online, :Grimmace:). All through this failed process of restoration, my ipod continues to do it's thing, booting and rebooting into that white screen (when I run itunes, it simply tells me it can see an ipod in recovery mode, while the ipod continues in it's loop).

I'm stuck at this point. I can't even get the ipod to turn off and remain off. Pressing the lock and home buttons together forces it off, but it starts up again in a few seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Late 2009 - 4GB Ram, 2.5 GHz, Snow Leopard
irfus: Why on EARTH were you messing around in your system files? If you jailbreak it and go poking around in system files, your bound to screw something up...That's why they're hidden by default!

Reaction score
had this issue as well. Believe it or not it has to do with the current config files in iTunes. What I did to resolve this issue was to create a new user on my Mac and login with that. Then I put the device in DFU mode and restored it with iTunes. If you are using Windows, you could try this with it as well. As I said, I did it with a Mac but I don't see why it wouldn't work with Windows.

OP
R
Reaction score
are you 100% correct that its the itunes config? because ive tried restoring my ipod on several different macs and windows pcs, and i still just get the error 9, and the ipod restarts through the restoration.

Also my ipod has got progressively worse and now wont even show the apple logo when it turns on!?!?!

whats is going on?

Reaction score
Hi, I read this post and I think is the same happening to me. Please tell me if someone has a solution to the problem. My problem started right after I downloaded Installous 4 from cydia. After the download, it installed great. I went to my ipod setting, and it did not open. So I restarted my device, and the **** started. It does not start, the apple logo appears, it stays like that for a while.. then a white screen appears and the Ipod reboots, and does the same over and over. Itunes does not recognize it. Iphoto does.
Please, If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

PD: I have an Ipod Touch 4G -> iOS 4.1

Reaction score
iPod 4g self reboot.

hey guys.
I've noticed some people on here who have had problems with their ipods after jailbreaking the ipod touch 4g (tethered).

well, i had the same problem. but i managed to fix mine by rebooting with redsn0w 0.9.6b4.
i forced my ipod to reboot. and while it was on a blank screen, i followed the instructions to reboot using redsn0w. and now it works :)

hopefully this helps to you guys who have jailbroken with redsn0w.

SiblicideShazz

P.S. My ipod is the ipod touch 4g, 32gb. version 4.2.1. jailbroken with redsn0w 0.9.6b4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.