Mac Pro Video Card for more than 2 screen

Reaction score
Hello

I'm looking to replace my Mac Pro video card, I have the first Mac Pro (2006) with the standard video card

I don't use it for graphic, video, or games, I just need more than 2 DVI port able to let me use 3 or more screen with a 1920x1080 resolution

I think, considering the Mac Pro came out in 2006, I hope I can find a used video card cheap with those spec, I don't want to spend a lot of money for that thing, I use the Mac Pro for audio, so I need more screens just because I need space to place different programs etc.

Thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you currently have the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card in your Mac Pro (this was the "standard" video card)...you can install up to 4 of them...allowing you to run up to 8 monitors.

Unfortunately just because a Macintosh is a little on the older side that doesn't mean things are necessarily cheap or cheaper. Used 7300 video cards that are compatible with a Mac Pro still sell for $100-$150 on e-Bay. If you're REALLY lucky...you might be able to get one for as little as $75. If this is "cheap or cheaper" to you...then great!:)

This is probably the least expensive video card you can get for an older 1st generation Mac Pro.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry but I use all the pci-e for other processing cards, that's why I'm looking for a card with more than 2 outputs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nick is telling you to purchase a second 7300 and pop it in slot No. 3 and hook it up to the upper power take off position on the logic board right above where your current card is connected.

Make sure it is a Mac model.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry but I use all the pci-e for other processing cards, that's why I'm looking for a card with more than 2 outputs

As far as I know...you cannot get a Macintosh compatible video card that has more than two video ports on it.

You could check these products out:

Multiple Monitors for Laptops | Multi-monitors
Do More with A Multi Monitor Adapter

This is usually a solution for folks with Mac laptops or iMacs that want to run two or three external monitors...but this product should work in your Mac Pro situation as well. It's not cheap (somewhere around $200-$300 bucks)...but it's a solution.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
yeah, I already seen this.. so, no way...

hey may I ask you another thing?
now I have two monitors, one with DVI port, the other has VGA + adapter and a long cable (I think is around 3 or 5 meters), I see a sort of "shadow" a "delay" of the contour of the image

do you think this is because of the cable length or because it is a poor cable? Because I've payed a lot for it.. but maybe it wasn't great quality... do you suggest some particular cable to avoid that? It's kind of annoying and tiring for the eyes..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you may be seeing is called "ringing or echoes" which occur on cables that are either too long or have a high capacitive reactance to the signal. Even though you paid a lot for the cable, it may be of poor quality. Take it back for a refund and try to use a shorter length cable - one that is shielded real well and is of high quality.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are any of the ports on your current card working? If so you can probably use adapter I reviewed in this article to add a second monitor. If you wanted to add additional monitors that would require an additional device for each monitor. The ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter

The price has come down a bit since my review (currently $50 US). I tested it with my MacBook and it works well with the exception of the limitations I discussed in the article. I believe Matrox makes similar devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.